When on battery, severe CPU throttling kicks in at 35% charge: how to change ?

Anonymous
2019-12-19T16:39:57+00:00

Brand new Spro7, Firmware up-to-date.

I noticed drastic CPU throttling when battery charge level reaches 35%: CPU tops at about 0.5 GHz and setting the power slide to "Best Performance" doesn't change that.

I found no setting that would allow to change this excessively conservative threshold to something more reasonable like 12 or 15% (my Battery Saver level is set at 15%, but it has obviously no impact on this).

Is this hard-coded in the firmware ?

Any ideas ?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-11T15:08:54+00:00

    Brand new Spro7, Firmware up-to-date.

    I noticed drastic CPU throttling when battery charge level reaches 35%: CPU tops at about 0.5 GHz and setting the power slide to "Best Performance" doesn't change that.

    I found no setting that would allow to change this excessively conservative threshold to something more reasonable like 12 or 15% (my Battery Saver level is set at 15%, but it has obviously no impact on this).

    Is this hard-coded in the firmware ?

    Any ideas ?

    I had the same problem on my SP7 i5 8gb and i solved this issue yesterday by disabling Intel Dynamic Tuning Service in msconfig > services.

    The problem is gone now but i am not sure if this can cause issues.

    So far so good, but i keep monitoring cpu and gpu temperatures just to be sure.

    Just try and see if works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-11T14:00:01+00:00

    Hello Bard,

    I have reported on the Feedback Hub though originally I thought it occurred at 30% battery, link below.

    https://aka.ms/AA6z3pr

    Regards,

    Muck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2020-01-11T13:34:36+00:00

    I don't see that anyone has reported this using the Feedback Hub App. You might want to file a problem report and see if others upvote.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-11T13:28:23+00:00

    Hello,

    I am too having the same problem. When the charge of my Surface Pro 7 (details below) reaches 35% the CPU and GPU throttle, CPU below 1GHz, and GPU is stuck at 300Mhz. I have Surface keyboard and pen.

    Restarting or changing user account will fix the CPU throttle but the GPU stays stuck at 300Mhz.

    This only started happening after the firmware updates in December.

    Charging the Surface Pro 7 above 35% fixes the issues, along with plugging into the charger.

    I have run the Surface diagnostic, and reset the power plan. Neither has helped.

    • Surface model: Surface Pro 7 Model 1866 i5
    • Version Information
    • SAM: 14.48.139.0
    • UEFI: 7.161.140.0
    • Touch driver: 3.315.139.0
    • Wi-Fi driver: 21.40.1.3

    Regards,

    Muck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2020-01-11T11:32:33+00:00

    You previously said "I would need to test with just the keyboard connected " -

    what was the result of this test?

    If you still have this issue, in all honesty, the other option is to reimage

    your Surface and see if you have issues before you install all of your own

    software.

    I don't see this as a trending issue here. And if it is drivers/firmware, it

    takes Microsoft quite a while to issue fixes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments