Surface Laptop 4 + dock - Mouse & keyboard lag / freeze

Anonymous
2021-12-17T17:47:47+00:00

Hi,

This issue has been plaguing the Surface products - and I'm "glad" to report that the Laptop 4 is also suffering from it.

The problem: When I connect USB peripherals (especially gaming mice and keyboards) to the Surface Dock, they lag and/or hang every X time.

The same issue has been reported for the Surface Book 2 and Laptop 3. I own the latter and I've experienced this issue on that device personally. It has been fixed since, so I'm kind of disappointed to see the same issue on the Laptop 4 now.

To make matters worse, I've also experienced this issue with a Logitech MX Keys keyboard (not a gaming device). Every few minutes, sometimes more often, a key haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangs <- and causes stuff like that.

As I understand, the high report rate of gaming devices causes the Dock to disconnect-then-reconnect the usb devices every so often. Another cause I've read about was recent Windows versions powering down USB ports or something like that.

I can confirm that the same Dock (v1, in this case) with a Laptop 3 does not suffer from this issue. It's just the Laptop 4.

The only way to work around it is to connect the device via bluetooth (not always an option as many gaming devices do not have BT) or plug the USB in the laptop (not the Dock). This works for one device, but unfortunately I'm one of those guys who insist on using both a keyboard and a mouse :))

I would really appreciate a fix for this issue. Thanks!

Related support topics (barely scratching the Surface (ha!) here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04

Surface | Surface Laptop | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-05-02T15:01:42+00:00

    Confirmed updated firmware this does NOT fix the issue, would really like some attention to this, buying new hardware shouldn't be so obviously glitchy without resolution. This was an issue with the original dock and surface book when first released but resolved itself eventually, come on Microsoft, be better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-05-15T14:18:18+00:00

    I can join the list of people having this issue.

    I have a Surface Laptop 4 and use a Logitech G910 keyboard and a G502 Lighspeed Mouse.

    I have a USB C Dock in which both keyboard and mouse + monitor are attached.

    The symptoms are exactly the same on the keyboard, but my mouse is always working.

    I cannot, however, attach my keyboard directly to the USB A port on the surface, as it will display the same symptoms there. The funny thing is, that it has worked before on this device with the exact same setup (including windows 11), but at some point in March, it started showing these symptoms.

    I will join the choir of saying: Please fix this asap, as it is pretty much impossible for me to do any work with this setup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-05-22T17:28:24+00:00

    Wow, this is amazing. This solved my problem.

    For the record: I'm on a Surface Laptop Studio running Windows 11 with a Surface Dock 2 running the latest firmware. This was an incredibly frustrating problem that led me to almost return the laptop itself (thinking there were power issues). I spent a week+ on this problem, and ultimately your solution worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    (Also to the person who described a symptom as "a key haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangs" - amazing - this was happening on my systrem too. It led me to reset to factory settings thinking I had installed some weird software).

    This problem was a real head-scratcher - Microsoft, you really, really, really need to address it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-05-30T20:11:32+00:00

    The same happened to me when windows update updated firmware in March to:

    • Surface - Firmware (UEFI) - 18.102.141.0
    • Surface - Firmware (ME) - 15.0.1879.1
    • Intel - System - 2120.100.0.1085

    I assume, with what I have read on other posts, e.g. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-freeze-on-surface-book-2-after-the-most/df3bee43-c696-4d4f-8b9d-4488dd83870f, that its to do with the UEFI firmware update, but can't say for certain.

    I have the same model laptop, an external Logi MX Master 3, but no dock or external keyboard. the issue seems to occur when switching window, or when read / write is happening. It often just stops reading input, and then after a few seconds it inputs the first character typed before it stopped. Its some sort of buffer issue but the fact that it worked before the firmware update is enough to expect a fix.

    I've tried removing every troubleshooting step, resetting the system, and also contacted MS support directly who tell me there's no similar issue reported to them, the issue still occurs and makes working on the laptop a nightmare, especially coding.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T16:28:17+00:00

    Works for me with surface book 3 and surface dock. amaze

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments