Surface Laptop 4 + dock - Mouse & keyboard lag / freeze

Anonymous
2021-12-17T17:47:47+00:00

Hi,

This issue has been plaguing the Surface products - and I'm "glad" to report that the Laptop 4 is also suffering from it.

The problem: When I connect USB peripherals (especially gaming mice and keyboards) to the Surface Dock, they lag and/or hang every X time.

The same issue has been reported for the Surface Book 2 and Laptop 3. I own the latter and I've experienced this issue on that device personally. It has been fixed since, so I'm kind of disappointed to see the same issue on the Laptop 4 now.

To make matters worse, I've also experienced this issue with a Logitech MX Keys keyboard (not a gaming device). Every few minutes, sometimes more often, a key haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangs <- and causes stuff like that.

As I understand, the high report rate of gaming devices causes the Dock to disconnect-then-reconnect the usb devices every so often. Another cause I've read about was recent Windows versions powering down USB ports or something like that.

I can confirm that the same Dock (v1, in this case) with a Laptop 3 does not suffer from this issue. It's just the Laptop 4.

The only way to work around it is to connect the device via bluetooth (not always an option as many gaming devices do not have BT) or plug the USB in the laptop (not the Dock). This works for one device, but unfortunately I'm one of those guys who insist on using both a keyboard and a mouse :))

I would really appreciate a fix for this issue. Thanks!

Related support topics (barely scratching the Surface (ha!) here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04

Surface | Surface Laptop | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-14T15:03:10+00:00

    Microsoft Surface 4 - I used the computer's built-in keyboard and it's track-pad. No dock, no power connections, NOTHING else connected, other than WiFi. Still got the lag/freezing issue. It's not any dock or externally connected keyboard/mouse issue.

    Other Findings: There is definitely some sort of interrupt happening. As I was using an old DELL wired keyboard, when the issue happened, I watched the Caps lock key light go off and then back on. NO DOCK connected to my computer at all. Just a travel charger plugged in and one external monitor plugged into the USB-C port. I am using a Treefrog multi-USB adapter with wired Keyboard, wireless headset dongle, wireless mouse dongle plugged in. The mouse lag is very frequent.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-11T19:58:16+00:00

    Hi Collin,

    I did the same thing. I used the travel adapter with a wired connection into USB C. Kind of defeats the purpose of the dock if I have to plug in more than one thing into the laptop. Thanks for posting about the ticket to support.

    -A

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-11T17:14:51+00:00

    Have you tried a usb-to-ethernet adapter and plugged the adapter into the dock as a workaround? Seems crazy to lose the wired connection when being on a dock.

    We have used the USB-C surface travel docks. When ethernet is plugged into that the issue does not seem to be there. However I don't think you should have to use the surface dock and an additional travel adapter just to get a wired internet connection. This seems to be a issue on microsofts end big time. I have a ticket open with their support and the current frontline agent isn't very helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-11T16:04:10+00:00

    I have a wired connection for my mouse and keyboard and the issue persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-11-11T15:50:22+00:00

    I stopped going crazy with it; I've been fighting this issue for over one year. I gave up and bought on Amazon a Wired Keyboard and Mouse Combo; I paid 15 dollars (https://a.co/d/g9tJnke) , and now I am stress-free, and everything works perfectly.

    I would suggest doing the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments