Sorry, but Java isn't supported on Windows RT. :(
Kate
And I'm being straight up I feel like returning this RT because of this now I can't do half of my homework stuff and I can't download Java so no other software so I'm pissed off MERRY FRIKIN CHRISTMAS
I hear your frustration, but it isn't that simple as JAVA is one of the biggest attack vectors in modern computing. The Mindcraft developers have it within their power to port it to whatever platform the wish.
And as far as MS not allowing you to install what you want, that again is untrue, none of the existing Win32 binaries would run on RT as they are coded and compiled to run on x86 CPUs and RT runs on ARM. So to run these they would need to be redone for ARM.
So at that point the argument fails, once re-coding comes into play they can write it for the Store.
Oracle could also create a JRE for the modern UI and distribute through the Store.
RT is like iOS or Android, it is a walled garden designed to be stable, secure without losing its core functionality.
Whoever purchased this needed to do more due diligence on the differences between x86 and ARM devices.
I agree that he should have done some more research to make sure it would run, but I completely disagree with the rest. The problem is that Windows RT isn't like iOS or Android which are mobile operating systems, Windows RT is an almost complete recompile of
Windows 8 for the ARM, and a hugh part of the Windows app ecosystem exists outside of the store and the WinRT api.
Also, there is a big big difference between a recompile of a win32 application from x86 to ARM, and a complete re-write from scratch for to make a store app. I kind of doubt java can even be a WinRT app, since WinRT it self already runs on top of win32 and
probably lacks a lot of functionality Java would need from the OS. And even if it could, there is little to no need or incentive for Oracle (and most developers) to do so as the number or Windows RT devices is really small compared to those running Windows
8 and older versions. Same with Minecraft... why should they have to completely re-write it for such a small number of devices.
If Microsoft would allow third-party win32 or .NET applications to run on Windows on ARM, Oracle could probably fairly easily compile Java for ARM. I read on another forum that it runs on ARMv6 CPUs (Rasberry Pi), so it could probably be tweaked to run on newer
ARM CPUs as well (if it hasn't already).
I have no problem with a store model per say, but I have a big problem with lockout of the other methods of installing and using software. Security is not a good argument for such a lockout in my opinion.
Even if they didn't want to completely drop the signing requirement, they could at least provide ways to lower it or start signing third-party desktop apps.
Again as I've said before, it's not a matter of can't on Microsoft's part, it's a matter of won't. They want to push their own store instead.