Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-05T20:35:50+00:00

    signing a petition does NOTHING. If media coverage of the issue hasn't changed Microsoft's approach to the problem, how does a petition do anything?

    ?If you're really interested in coming to a solution, join the investigation for the class action lawsuit

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-05T19:43:02+00:00

    I have the same problem.  My Surface Pro 4 is just over 2 years old, and the flickering screen started in the past week.  Help!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-05T17:23:48+00:00

    I dont know what happen but mine quit flickering been bout 3 weeks now. Ive always thought it had to do with window 10 upgrade. Cant tell what changed and I hope it continue tostay fixed. We will see. Havent changed the way i use the machine. Dont know hat happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-05T15:38:54+00:00

    No the problem is hardware based. It's an overheating issue. The problem is with the ribbon cable to the screen. It has been changed on the newer surface pro's. Microsoft will not admit to the fault. That is the problem we as customers are facing.

    That is very interesting... it is the first time I have read someone actually identifying a specific component.  Do you have a link to anything that discusses this ribbon cable explanation further?  Is it something that can be resolved by a replacement cable?  I am considering opening up my Surface (which I realize is quite tricky... I have worked on laptops, but never something sealed like this display is).  It seems pointless to pay Microsoft to replace the display, only to have the problem come back in a few months.  So I am considering all the other possibilities before trashing this Surface.

    I am quite curious as to how a cable could be the cause of this shaking. The problem is pretty clearly heat-related, and I'm not sure how a ribbon cable is going to be susceptible to heating issues.... unless there is some active circuit as part of the cable assembly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments