Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-20T18:47:17+00:00

    In the instance I experienced, it is a very mild amount of 'vibration' I see and, as was suggested by a user with a similar circumstance, I have tried the hack suggested from the "Windows 10 show seconds on clock" hack through the link at https://www.slashgear.com/surface-pro-4-flickering-screen-problem-remains-unsolved-05517952/ and will let you know if it is successful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-20T17:33:46+00:00

    It is NOT a software issue - it is a hardware issue.  Microsoft know this and are ignoring thousands of people because they will loose some of their precious money!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-20T17:32:56+00:00

    Agree - it is a scandal and thousands of people (small people who have no organisation behind them) will suffer out of pocket for these laptops after 12mths and 1 day.

    The problem is worse when the laptops are hot.  

    No resolution from Microsoft - its the usual silent treatment and they freely give out the European Court details now in the knowledge that noone can really take them through the courts and win.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-20T17:02:13+00:00

    I tried all of the software and driver solutions recommended by Microsoft and nothing worked. My screen started to shake on startup in UEFI and the display was fine on an external monitor so it could not be Windows or graphics card.

    I decide to try to replace the screen as I thought it must be either the screen or digitizer.

    It was very difficult to source the correct screen but eventually found one and removed the screen from the surface pro (with a lot of difficulty). I was then able to remove the digitizer and the screen shake was still present so I thought it must be the screen, I installed the  new screen with the original digitizer and the shake disappeared ! I do not know what causes the screen to develop this fault over time but I think that this problem must be caused by a faulty batch of screens and Microsoft must know this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments