Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T07:31:13+00:00

    如果換了屏幕還是會閃呢?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T07:28:46+00:00

    没办法通过软件升级解决,只有送去售后中心进行硬件维修,我的是直接更换了屏幕。

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T07:04:27+00:00

    I have been experiencing the problem for over a year now. I tried to contact MS for support on this six months ago but they told me i was out of warranty in spite of the extended warranty i had paid for at the MS store in Portland. I thought it might have been because i have been living in Thailand. So i visited the Store in November with my reciept and bank statement and they still said they had no record and wouldn’t even look at it.

    i had been thinking of upgrading to a Surface Book II with the GPU but not anymore. I would expect more from a major company like MS, this is like a sleazy car dealorship.

    When the flickering first started it took several hours, now it is down to less than an hour. I usually run my computer 24 hours a day except when i am moving it. Rediculous. When it works its beautiful, not now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T05:30:10+00:00

    1 year and 5 months using my Surface Pro 4 with no problems until a heavy Windows update (I think it's the Fall update) installed and then the screen flickering and shaking started to occur when CPU is on medium/high usage, like playing a video in browser or Steam games. For me, I think this is software issue caused by update and also could be hardware heating issue.

    My warranty is expired and Microsoft is not willing to recall this product. ($CAD2300 for what?)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments