Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T01:32:54+00:00

    There are two law firms investigating (and soliciting information) for the possibility of a class action law suit, The one that addressed Surface Pro 3 users with battery issues:Migliaccio & Rathod (previously mentioned by tycho5ive) and another here

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T00:21:23+00:00

    My, slightly over one year old, Surface Pro 4 did it for the first time last weekend.  I had heard about all of this and then it's me too...

    Of course out of warranty and calls to support went misunderstood.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T00:12:24+00:00

    Wow, Microsoft. You guys seriously need to improve your QA department. Windows 10 is already still buggy at 16299, and now this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-01T23:10:05+00:00

    I just spoke to Microsoft out-of-warranty UK support. I was told that my only option is a £400 replacement (which I can't afford). I was hoping that replacing the screen myself would repair the flickering but she advised me that it wouldn't make any difference because it's a hardware problem. 

    She acknowledged that Microsoft is aware of Flickergate and that it's not really acceptable that a 'premium' device is unusable after fifteen months. 

    I feel scammed by Microsoft, I really do. 

    I live in Thailand and bought an SP 4 here 13 months ago. The screen got the dreaded flicker as described in this thread, just after the 12 month warranty ended. Nevertheless Microsoft (Thailand) have just given me a 'refurbished' SP4 machine at no cost even for couriers, despite 'out of warranty'. So I suspect MS service people are now well aware of the scree flicker issue due to overheating.

    To anyone whom MS is asking to pay for a screen repair, perhaps you can cite my case (and I think others on this thread) who have recieved free "refurbished" machines.

    Nevertheless I am not happy.  SP is a high end, expensive product ( and I really liked it until I got the flicker). Such hardware failures should not occur.

    The inconvenience of losing my machine for two weeks during the 'swap'; 

    All the software re-installs; 

    And now holding my breath wondering if/when flicker will return.

    I will be looking at the alternatives to SP for my next machine

    I too after 13 months have this same problem.  The back of the screen in my top left hand corner gets very hot and you can hear a fan-like noise that increases with the flicker.  I live in Australian and again the only option for me was a "refurbished" replacement.  This by the sounds of it is not really an option as the root problem has not been addressed by Microsoft.  Our only hope maybe that https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/01/microsoft\_q2\_fy2018\_surface\_pro/ raised by 

    AB

    AbbasHaroon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments