Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-31T23:27:25+00:00

    Another route to go if you're prepared to stay in the mix with Microsoft, I myself am not inclined to do so, but when we brought in a broken SP3 they offered a discount to upgrade to the new Surface Pro, it was a pretty significant discount so that is another option if they will offer it.

    We opted to go with another OEM.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-31T19:40:11+00:00

    Similar but in my case, it seems the entire screen shifts up and down vertically at a very high rate of speed. It almost feels like your eyes are having problems but you can see it come on and off randomly.

    Tried the patch but the problem persists.

    Very hard on the eyes due to the extra strain.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-31T19:17:02+00:00

    Agreed - I've usually been a Dell fan here for laptops.  Also had a Sony Vaio when they had the "thinnest ultrabook" which was also without faults.

    I don't think in 15 odd years I've had a single hardware fault or if I have, it's wear and tear (drive failure or whatever).

    Even if it was hardware failure, it happens ... but the fact it's so widespread, the blame is entirely on MS and how it is being handled (or not in this case).

    Ironically, I repair laptops/phones and we are seeing a lot more Surface units coming in albeit the older RT/2/3 units

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments