Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T20:03:12+00:00

    Hi.  I have intermediately been experiencing this problem for a few months now.  I am on the creators update (1703) but do not know if the problem started at that time or prior.

    For me, the bottom half of the screen will start to jitter or vibrate.  It is only the bottom half of the screen.  the top half is fine.   

    The behavior is inconsistent though.  Sometimes its fine, sometimes it is not.  The screen flicker only occurs on the surface display, not external monitors.  

    I have only observed the jitter when I am on battery power.  I do not recall experiencing it when plugged in.  Sometimes I can resolve it by changing the power settings from being power saving to being best performance.  This does not always work though (as is the case as I type this right now).  

    I am also running the latest firmware/updates as I tried updating before writing this post.

    Win 10 info:

    Version 1703

    OS Build: 15063.850

    Thank you.

    Anthony

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T19:08:06+00:00

    I did this trick http://www.techgom.com/2018/01/microsoft-surface-screen-flicker-issue.html?m=1 

    and so far there is no flickering. give it a try.

    Isn't that fix for the adaptive brightness/display flickering? Which is not the same issue...

    I've seen on reddit (be warned expletives ahead) that a user went into store, and the Microsoft Tech's had software that they were able to use to get his device to stop flickering, among other issues he's had. 

    Maybe a software hix has finally been achieved.  

    At this point it's still too early to tell, but I am optimistic for the hope of a remedy.

    So at this point, if you have device flicker, and can make it into a physical store, it might well be worth the trip.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T13:48:15+00:00

    I did this trick http://www.techgom.com/2018/01/microsoft-surface-screen-flicker-issue.html?m=1 

    and so far there is no flickering. give it a try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T13:38:14+00:00

    No dice unfortunately. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments