Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-28T09:01:37+00:00

    Had the Pro 4 i7 16GB 256GB HD for a couple of years and had the flickering issue for just under a year. Generally a mouse move would stop it temporarily.

    Just started to get the full on screen shudder that makes it unusable.

    I read somewhere (probably here) that it didn't occur when using a second monitor,

    I have a portable ASUS USB monitor and as I was desperate to get some development work done I tried it. Worked for about 3 hours using the ASUS as the only screen. No issues at all.

    Needed to see Visual Studio and the Silverlight page so, apprehensively, I set both screens visible.

    For a further 3 hours solid work not a flicker or a shudder on either screen.

    Like everyone else here I paid top dollar (£1600+ with my Education discount) and I cant afford to fork out for a new Computer.

    I only mention this as a cheaper option to extend the life of the surface as Portable USB monitors are pretty cheap.

    Microsoft's silence on this matter is despicable, when I get in a position where I can afford a new PC, Microsoft hardware won't be considered!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-27T18:21:42+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-27T15:07:45+00:00

    That's it...mine's finally gone totally mental. It's so bad now it's unusable. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-27T10:28:41+00:00

    This is a different flickering issue that's related to brightness. It's not the same kind of flickering that's being discussed on this thread. The problem discussed here is a hardware issue and looks like this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O5ntJN3vWM&t=4s

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments