Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T16:05:40+00:00

    I've noticed that the flickering will stop if a pixel is animated. This can happen in an app that is running. the windows 10 gui or by input from the type cover. But also from dimming or brightening the lights of the screen. To me this does not sound like an issue with temperature. 

    For me the issue started some days ago. I've had this device for almost a year.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T15:58:49+00:00

    Anyone got the solutions?

    Me too having same problem,

    My surface pro is running OK, but until few hours, the screen become flickering

    I bring the device to microsoft partner of service centre(technofied) at singapore

    And i'm charged $790 before tax

    They said had to change LCD screen

    What the hell microsoft???!!

    Im very dissapointed.. I always love and loyal to surface pro, been using surface pro1, eventhough the battery become bulky

    I really cant accept this..

    Im so dissapointed, please read below

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T15:02:31+00:00

    Hi all,

    Just another SP4 user chiming in with...the same issue.

    Mine had good innings of around 18 months old and thankfully I had taken the care pack out.

    I won't go into the symptoms as it's exactly the same as those of you here however I'm also convinced this is temperature related.

    My screen feels very warm to touch when it happens - and running speed fan on the side, it did show a higher temperature but by all means it was not a bad temperature .. around the late 30's to mid 40's celcius.  The difference however is that the screen is warm when it happens.

    As I type this, temperature is creeping up to the higher side of 40 - so far it's ok but the flicker will start as it creeps up.

    After 125 pages and that's just this thread on this forum, I cannot believe a recall/swap out has not been arranged for those of you out of warranty.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-15T20:35:55+00:00

    Thanks GR,  I suspected that it may be an overheating issue too, however it just started happening a couple of days ago and before that, it was running fine.  But I found a tech support person responding to another person's concerns:

    "...We definitely understand the concern for heating issues possibly occurring with your new Surface Laptop, but if there has been no thermometer appearing on the screen the device has not gone into an overheated state (which is a good thing)..."

    So, apparently, if your computer overheats you get a thermometer appearing onscreen?  They did have other suggestions...among them, disabling Startup Programs you don't use in an article entitled Tips to improve PC performance.

    I do think I will contact support though and see what they have to say.

    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond...I'll keep your suggestion in mind.  Maybe monitor my temperature to see what's happening.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments