Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-09T02:35:25+00:00

    Facing the same flickering problem here. I thought of paying the US400+ for a replacement (out of warranty of course..........), but decided not to because after reading the thread, it seems more like a process of drawing lottery that one might get a flicker free set.

    I really love the SP concept, gotta give it to the team. So I thought, may be I will just get the SP2017 by paying for a brand new set. And then I read that SP2017 flickering complaints are beginning to show by now. So no go there again. 

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpronew-surfdrivers/surface-pro-2017-screen-flickering/d5993f03-0a86-417c-b35d-d4e1e3e6d250

    I thought then may be I will switch completely to the surface book 2. And only to find out it has a major battery issue.

    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3237656/laptop-computers/microsofts-surface-book-2-has-a-power-problem.html

    So now I have just resigned to fate that I (and along with so many of you) are just quite unfortunate. I will probably stick with the flickering issue until the line of product becomes more reliable. Right now, there is some noise from the SP consumers, but obviously microsoft thinks it not worth addressing yet

    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/10/consumer-reports-pulls-microsoft-surface-recommendation.html

    Too many corporate giants thought they were too big to fall, but history has it that the like of Volkswagen, Takata (just to name a few) eventually will. Microsoft, you are a great company with amazing products, I hope it doesn't take a magnitude 8 earthquake before you realize that you should have reinforce the houses way earlier.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-08T22:06:51+00:00

    My Surface pro 4, bought at Fnac in Bilbao (Spain) in January 2016, has been working well until August 2017. Since then, the screen flickers after 2 or 3 hours of work when it is still,  and can not be used with texts or graphics, or with any program that requires reading on the screen. The flicker of the screen stops when moving the cursor  and starts after 3 or 4 seconds of being a fixed screen. This makes the Surface not workable.

    Between 9/2017 and 01/2018, under warranty, we have sent to repair the Surface 3 times and it has not been fixed. Now it is again delivered at Fnac waiting for what Microsoft's technical service says.

    How many times is necessary to do it? The loss of time and the inability to use this device to work is unacceptable.

    Added to these facts, is the incompetence of Fnac and Microsoft that do not offer fix, or replacement or refund of money due to a product fail. It is a scam that this expensive high-end

    product has been put on sale without quality controls or,  if these are isolated cases, the Surface is not replaced to the affected users.

    I hope it will be offered to all of us who are suffering from the neglect and unacceptable treatment of Microsoft a solution as soon as possible.

    Meanwhile I recommend, after this bad experience, not to buy a Surface laptop until these cases of failure are solved satisfactorily. And also from my experience, if there are post-sale problems, the Fnac Bilbao service does not take  care of the ni product offered to the client, devoting itself to diverting its responsibility.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-07T11:23:50+00:00

    I also noticed that I never notice the fan turning on inside my SP4 anymore. I don't use my device for any intensive tasks (just internet, mail, Office, etc.), but in the past I heard the fan turn on once in a while. But now I don't hear it turning on ever. Is there some test that I can run to check if the fan is actually working?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-07T09:10:00+00:00

    One of the best discussions i have seen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments