Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-21T19:48:44+00:00

    Mine is still under warranty, yesterday I got it replaced :)

    It's most probably hardware issue at this point, if yours is under warranty, don't wait, go and get it replaced!

    For others, well, let's be hopeful...

    Would that I could, I’d do it in a heartbeat, but I got mine some time after launch, so I’m way out of warranty. I refuse to pay $450 for shoddy engineering which will soon break down anyways; as it seems this is a design issue. 

    It’s not so bad that I can’t use it currently, but as soon as I can afford it, I’m buying a Mac. 

    Ms should atleast meet us halway. $225 and they replace them with refurbished 2017 models.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-21T19:42:07+00:00

    Not an apple fanboy, as i have a surface 4 pro. I also have an ipad pro and macbook pro. I can say with 100% certaintanty, if my $1200 ipad pro started flickering, apple would replace it. 100%. I WISH this wouldnt happen to my 2015 ipad 12.9 ad they probally just swap it with the 2017 12.9...after this, i will only buy cheap, used ms items. Who can afford to replace a $1500 device every year?  Its like spend $2,200 now on the mac book (over prced) or $1,700 now and possibly $1700 in a year to replace it over ms’s trifelnt bull crap

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-21T16:16:40+00:00

    Hello,

    I'm having the same issue still. Anyone else? I've just updated to the latest Inside Program release but it still happens. Have tried updating drivers but no luck. Seriously frustrating.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-21T06:34:57+00:00

    I have the same issue here with my i5, 256GB.

    Started beginning of December and it comes up when the surface gets hot. I am still inside the manufacturers warranty but can't send it back.

    I purchased the device in my home country Germany but living permanently in Doha, Qatar. I am once a year  in Germany for Christmas and would wait 12 months to pick up the new device after I've send the old one in.

    I don't have the option to send a new device in advance (for a credit card deposit) inside the repair request as I had it with the Surface 3 of my wife.

    The next Microsoft store is in Dubai where the flight would cost the same as the surface itself due to the embargo.

    Is there a possibility for Microsoft to send me an advance device against deposit anyways?

    I would also be very happy to trade in my Surface Pro 4 for a new Surface Pro model.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments