Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-16T00:09:06+00:00

    anybody know if its waste of time or not to drive out to a microsoft? I'm so upset with this company...never buying microsoft again. It would be a different story if this was happening and they did something about it (recall/compensation/NEW replacement) but no one cares. I know microsoft employees are reading these and ignoring us. I understand its your job but please advocate for us as customers... have some decency. I didn't just buy this computer because I had $1500 laying around. I saved up and worked hard so I'd have something reliable for PA school to take notes on and read ebooks. Its embarrassing to carrying around this flickering mess. but I can't afford to replace. Just going to keep using it with the task manager up until it overheats and burns my hands off

    thank you for absolutely nothing microsoft!!! worst customer service

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-15T11:21:19+00:00

    That YouTube link is excellent idea, thank you. Considering that i "managed to fix" my Surface by adding the seconds to the taskbar clock i'll wait to see how long it will last. I hope forever, but based on the comments from the other people applying the same fix, it will probably come back again. To sum up, my computer is currently flicker free so it would not be fair to force it back and post it to YouTube. Of course, if it will start again i'll use your link. 

    P.S.

    This is definitely going to be my last Surface Pro ( I owned 1 & 3 before ). The love is over. Who knows, maybe i will invest even more money and buy the Surface Book as the next computer :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-14T20:04:33+00:00

    I have started to have the same issue following 1.5 years of usage. Nothing helps and my product is out of warranty. If this problem continues this will be the last microsoft hardware I will ever buy.

    Note: There is a solution i missed. Using computer inside a frakking refrigerator.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments