Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-14T11:27:16+00:00

    Also- the fact that the screen gets so hot to the touch around the edge should call for a recall. people can burn their hands!!! My hand certainly gets red just from using it to take noes. Such a joke I can barely get through a 3 hour lecture with the task manager up trying to control the flickering and taking up part of my screen space and the unit burning my hands. Microsoft is a joke. I already have a video of mine flickering, just let me know when/where to post. Someone should make a compilation video of all the flickering.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-14T08:46:32+00:00

    That's a great idea!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-14T08:34:44+00:00

    Of course that they will never admit it. They will just wait for us to get tired of nagging and to buy the new one. By the way, Christmas and New Year are arriving. It would be fun to make a thread on YouTube with the videos from everyone here having screen issues. +1000 of flickering videos. Just to make their future customers aware of the issue and to see on what they will invest their money.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-14T07:23:11+00:00

    But this is the problem, Microsoft WILL NO admit that it's a problem...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments