Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-12T12:15:12+00:00

    I agree with this.

    A while back I got a replacement device, and slowly it's starting to show a little bit screen flicker once in a while, and I can notice that this only happens after the device has done some hard work. (After the fans were working hard to keep it cool) So it definitely seems to be a progressive issue that get worse with time.

    Since I sometimes do quite heavy 3D renderings for work and play quite demanding games I'm pretty sure this replacement device will eventually get worse as well.

    It might even be that ALL Surface devices suffer this issue, but not showing for many people because they use their surface quite lightly ie. not playing demanding games for extended periods etc. 

    As someone else mentioned, replacing the screen fixes the flickering, so it seems like the heat does actually damage some component in the display, causing this flickering. 

    Does anyone know if this only happens on SP4 or other surface products as well? SP3, New Surface Pro? Fanless devices also have this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-12T11:11:02+00:00

    Totally agree with this explanation, SP 4 has to be recalled due to this issue.

    Unfortunately that would mean millions of dollars in damages, so I don’t have my hopes high that this’ll happen, unless we make a big stink.

    You're right, apparently they are in deny mode, and they dare not issue an official statement regarding this problem, prove that in their eyes, only "M$" matter

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-12T10:40:28+00:00

    Sure, I will update here soon after they done reviewing my case and come out with new offer (2-3 working days)

    UPDATE: At first there is a person from malaysia support team promised to raise my issue and help me get free replacement, she asked me to wait for few days as the escalation team still reviewing my case. Today I received reply from escalation team:

    QUOTE

     I am emailing you in regard your Surface device. We have heard that you were requesting for a free replacement device due to a hardware fault on your Surface. 

    Since then, we have been checking and raising ticket about your request. Every one that we have consulted provided us the same answer - we can only assist you with paid replacement. I am sorry to be the bearer of the news.

    UNQUOTE

    So, case closed, no fix, no free replacement.

    That means, I have to continue live with this "3-5 working hours" healthy lifestyle thanks to MS, until I save enough money for new device from other brand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-12T05:14:16+00:00

    Yes, 100%

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments