Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-10T12:00:32+00:00

    My Surface pro I7 256 16 have the 1 px to 2 px wide horizontal line flicker on the bottom of the screen. I bought it in the beginning of the 2016 and the flicker started after the fall creator update. Funny thing about the flicker is that the flickering lines on the bottom are actually cloning the pixels from the top of the screen. I noticed it by changing the position of the icons on the desktop and changing of the desktop background. The flickering pixels on the bottom of the screen are always reproducing the 1 or 2 pixels from the top of the screen. After installing the latest 6 firmware updates  the problem is still there.  The Surface was working without the flicker for exactly 1 day before it started again :). I am now using the seconds in the taskbar clock as a "fix" cos that flicker is driving me crazy. By the way, i owned the Surface 1 and 3 before. While the Surface 1 was working fine, my Surface 3 was not. There was no issue with the flickering but with the sound of the ventilators which would produce crazy clicking noises. They were so annoying that i sold my Surface as fast as i could. To sum up, crazy expensive product, full of bugs and glitches and one more unsatisfied costumer. This is definitely my last Surface cos the time i spent fixing it is just not F***** worth the time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-10T04:43:24+00:00

    i

    this firmware update does nothing, fliecker and shaking still like usual..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T18:25:33+00:00

    I have had the same issue now for almost 6 months and it has been getting progressively worse. I was hoping that a fix would be released but now I'm afraid that it is likely a hardware issue affecting the early units of the Surface Pro 4 and Microsoft are reluctant to address the issue.

    After switching from Apple it is very disappointing to have this first experience with a Microsoft product, and now my friends who laughed at me for switching are feeling pretty smug :( 

    RIGHT!!!!

    I didn't even switch, I'm still an Apple user  (iMac) but I wanted a powerful touch laptop for side tasks and couch uses which apple doesn't have, and this is what I get ....

    damn it feels ugly (I only used it for 1 week)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T18:22:49+00:00

    I have had the same issue now for almost 6 months and it has been getting progressively worse. I was hoping that a fix would be released but now I'm afraid that it is likely a hardware issue affecting the early units of the Surface Pro 4 and Microsoft are reluctant to address the issue.

    After switching from Apple it is very disappointing to have this first experience with a Microsoft product, and now my friends who laughed at me for switching are feeling pretty smug :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments