Docking station 4 - external screen does not wake up after falling in sleep mode

Anonymous
2016-02-22T03:09:28+00:00

I am connecting my Surface Pro 3 on the new docking station (for Surface Pro 3 and 4). And all this is connected to a DELL external monitor.

After some time the Surface Pro 3 falls into sleep mode and if I wait not too long I can wake it up using my Bluetooth mouse; which activates the docking station and the external screen.

But if I wait for too long my mouse cannot wake up my external screen (mouse wakes up Surface Pro 3 for sure and docking is always up) and I need to disconnect my docking station from Surface and reconnect it; then my display is activated again.

Any ideas?

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-12T11:23:50+00:00

    I have identical problem with the same Surface Pro 4 and dock.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-31T19:37:25+00:00

    I would like to say that it was the former but it looks more like the later. Every once in a while a Microsoft employee comes in and tells us to reinstall drivers, reset the device to factory defaults or call MS support but other than that there is very little input from the company.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-31T06:05:13+00:00

    So everybody here has problems of some sort with the dock (and or Surface).  My question is - is this a forum where Microsoft address issues (they have their branding on the site) or is it just a spot to vent your frustrations and feel the empathy of others who are suitably unimpressed (but not surprised) by Microsoft, who have been delivering bugs for over 30 years now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T17:46:39+00:00

    PTB_92: happy for you that you've found a work-around.

      Unfortunately for me, I need USB port adapters connected to my Surface Dock in the work I do. Only using the laptop's USB ports pretty much negates the value (?) of having the Dock (it's unfortunate we can't use the mini-DP port on the laptop for the external monitor while the laptop is charging ... we'd be able to do away with the dock).

       As a side note: when using the Dock's USB ports and one of the Book's USB ports, USB functionality is fine. If I plug another USB device into the Book's second port (it doesn't matter what kind of USB device), the Book starts having connection issues with the Dock-connected USB devices when waking from sleep ... the only fix being to unplug the Dock, allow the Book to settle and plug the Dock back in.

    The Dock remains a problem Microsoft needs to address. Had I known the Dock would be such a detriment to my computing, I'd have purchased a different, stable brand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-03-07T00:47:33+00:00

    I had the same problems, plus I could not put Surface to sleep with Power/Sleep selection.

    I have similar setup, Surface Book, docking station, Dell U3414W and another Dell monitor.

    My problem was J5create USB 3.0 Hub connected to docking station USB.

    I disconnected it one day ago and so far everything works very well:

    • When monitors go off after 20 minutes I am able to wake them up with mouse or keyboard
    • When Surface goes to sleep after one hour I am able to wake it up with power button
    • Each time after power off Surface is recognizing monitors and I do not need to force power off to try again (sometimes I had to power off docking station as well)
    • I can put Surface to sleep with Power/Sleep selection

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments