Docking station 4 - external screen does not wake up after falling in sleep mode

Anonymous
2016-02-22T03:09:28+00:00

I am connecting my Surface Pro 3 on the new docking station (for Surface Pro 3 and 4). And all this is connected to a DELL external monitor.

After some time the Surface Pro 3 falls into sleep mode and if I wait not too long I can wake it up using my Bluetooth mouse; which activates the docking station and the external screen.

But if I wait for too long my mouse cannot wake up my external screen (mouse wakes up Surface Pro 3 for sure and docking is always up) and I need to disconnect my docking station from Surface and reconnect it; then my display is activated again.

Any ideas?

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-23T16:12:07+00:00

    Having the same issue after installing the latest updates on 02/19 -- Surface Book firmware and what not:

    • System Hardware Update - ‎2/‎17/‎2016
    • Microsoft driver update for Surface UEFI
    • Microsoft driver update for Surface System Aggregator Firmware
    • Microsoft driver update for Surface Management Engine

    When coming out of "sleep" (yeah, power management issues still haven't been fixed!), the external monitors will no longer power up. No amount of toggling, reconnecting cables, or powering the dock up and down will fix it. Only a reboot.

    Basically, now I have to reboot the laptop every time it comes out of the sleep and I have to shut it down on the go every time before closing the lid. That's some portability, bro! Thanks a ton!..

    Setup

    Surface Book

    Intel Core i7 6600U 2.6GHz

    16GB RAM

    512GB SSD

    Microsoft Surface Dock

    Asus VE278 monitor

    Dell U2713HM

    Microsoft! This is unacceptable!

    You sold people $3,000 paperweight! A pathetic piece of garbage that's been broken from the start and has never been fixed despite numerous promises. In fact, every subsequent update seems to make matters worse, not better. I would have returned this pathetic excuse of a laptop if I could. Shame on me for believing in Microsoft ability to actually fix things. My last Microsoft purchase. Ever. I already ditched my Windows Phone. Looks like it is time to go completely Microsoft free.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-05-02T09:32:35+00:00

    Sorry, I had assumed the thread was focused on difficulties waking external monitors when connected to a Surface device via the Microsoft dock, once the device has gone to sleep, as described in many of the above posts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-24T16:14:32+00:00

    Same issue here after external screen powers down, but computer has not gone into sleep mode.

    Surface Book - Surface Dock - Dell U3415W

    Upon awakening, Surface Book's screen has become primary & is functional. External monitor does not work and Windows is unable to detect the monitor in display settings.

    Sometimes, simply unplugging the dock and plugging it back into the Book fixes things ... just as it does when the Dock drops all USB connections coming out of sleep mode.

    Other times, the only way to restore the external screen is to reboot.

    This Dock is problematic, to say the least.

    I read on a tech forum that one user worked around the problem by plugging a Toshiba dock into the Surface Dock & using the Toshiba dock for all USB and displays ... solved the problem for him, but that's not a solution for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-23T16:35:06+00:00

    Paulo, you are right. Just checked the power plan settings, and indeed when connected to external power the Book is set to just turn off the monitors. Apparently, once they are off... They are off for good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-02-22T20:20:22+00:00

    I am having the same issue and I am just using a straight display port cable.  I have a Samsung 32' 4k monitor. UE850.  Before feb update surface would not wake up now the external monitor will not wake up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments