Hi there folks!
I had the exact same issue occur with my own Surface Pro 4 this week.
What triggered the issue was that I closed my Surface Pro without the Keyboard attatched, then it later went to Hybernate mode by it self (as it's supposed to)
Then I attached the Keyboard meanwhile it was in Hybernate and after woke it up.
Then the problem was there.. It left me thinking that I would think through what I had done and try to reverse what I already did.
The fix for me was simply to detatch the keyboard, then rebooting the computer without the keyboard, then suddenly it was fixed!
I was able to attatch the keyboard yet again and it still worked like a charm!
Once again in a more structrured manner:
- Make sure the surface is On and at the desktop or such alike.
- Detatch the keyboard.
- Use the touch screen in order to carry out a reboot.
- when at the desktop yet again, I personally swiped the screen from the right to bring out the notification center. To then use the touch screen to change the brightness.
- I attatched the keyboard and made sure that the problem didn't still persist. (which I was successful in)
PS: Might be that there was some other thing that triggered your problem, however this was the story of my problem and how I fixed it.
Hope this helps any of you guys.
Cheers,
Adrian.