I have this problem too. surface book 2 15 inch 16g 256g . Why read speed is too good, while write speed like my old hdd ?
Surface book 2 15 inch 256G super low wirte speed
My surface book 2 (15 inch, i7, 16G, 256G ssd) shows high read speed (~3000 mb/s), but super low write speed (~330 mb/s). I returned my 1st one due to this super low write speed, but 2nd one also show almost same benchmark speed. Based on other reviews, these numbers are consistently reported in 256G ssd model. I wonder if this write speed is normal or it can be improved by firmware update later. If this write speed is normal...why MS used this ssd?. 300mb/s write speed is much slower than my 2yr old surface pro 4 256G (~1000mb/s) and 3yr old 256G ssd(~800mb/s) in my desktop....
Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2018-05-22T22:21:37+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-05-29T18:23:46+00:00 It looks like the config with 1TB is not affected:
https://www.tabletowo.pl/2018/02/05/recenzja-test-surface-book-2/2/
http://www.itpro.co.uk/laptops/30389/microsoft-surface-book-2-review-undone-by-its-own-ambition
This is perfectly presented here:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/tablet-reviews/microsoft-surface-book-2-13-review/
Regards
-
Anonymous
2018-05-29T19:00:34+00:00 It looks like the config with 1TB is not affected:
https://www.tabletowo.pl/2018/02/05/recenzja-test-surface-book-2/2/
http://www.itpro.co.uk/laptops/30389/microsoft-surface-book-2-review-undone-by-its-own-ambition
This is perfectly presented here:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/tablet-reviews/microsoft-surface-book-2-13-review/
Regards
Seems crazy. Both device use the same Samsung pm961 ssd, and it must be like 2000mb/s for every version. So, we can only say, that this is software problem and Microsoft must fix it for their premium device! I'm not sure, but may be when we going to write to disk with 256gb, write buffer isn't working well or not working at all.
-
Anonymous
2018-07-01T17:34:14+00:00 I found my surface has the same problem. write speed is like 330mb/s, even I turned off its write-cache.
-
Anonymous
2018-07-02T12:36:25+00:00 Hello Zhaolun,
We would like to know more about the issue. Please provide the following information:
- Which software or app are you using to test write speeds? Do you get the same results when you try another app?
- What write speeds do you get when transferring smaller files?
- Please ensure that you have the latest updates installed, see if there's a difference.
We'll be waiting for your reply.
Regards.