Surface Book 2 won't wake up from sleep. Only by detaching the screen I can wake up.

Anonymous
2018-04-06T07:18:10+00:00

Hello,

My SB2 doesn't wake up from sleep. The only way I can wake it up is by first detaching the screen, then I can press the power button and it will wake up. This takes me about 15secs, which is way too slow for a $2000+ computer.

I have read the 3-step solution Microsoft posted for this problem, and it doesn't help. The hotkeys do not respond (Control+windows+shift+B or 3 taps on up+down volume buttons), the battery is fully charged and I am not going to restart the tablet every single time the computer goes into sleep mode.

What is the solution? Everything else works fine with the surface, I don't want to send back/exchange the surface just for this problem... it seems like some software fix should be enough!

Thanks,

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Barb Bowman 80,820 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-19T17:24:30+00:00

    OFFICIAL Microsoft support would never recommend driver booster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T08:57:31+00:00

    The only way, I got that problem somehow suppressed but not directly solved was by changing the additional power settings "Chose what closing the lid does" back to hibernate while I am On Battery.

    The disastrous result using sleep however could not be addressed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-23T19:18:57+00:00

    Hi I eventually solved this problem.

    My theory to why it happens:

    When you turn on or reboot the SurfaceBook 2 it remembers what state it was in before you switched it of. You'll perhaps notice that your apps open as they were before you shut down. The glitch that causes the "won't turn on" problem is also resumed so the problem isn't cleared by a reboot.

    What to try:

    Make sure you have the latest Windows updates and at least 20% charge.

    Hold down the power button, ignore the Slide to shut down your PC screen and keep holding the power button until the computer goes off and the windows logo comes back ... then release the button. If you get a prompt to do a disk check, just cancel it.

    Once the computer is up and running you should find the problem has gone. I did this several months ago and I haven't had a problem since.

    Hope it helps, let us know!

    I tried this just now, and it seems to work so far. Mine was to the point that it would hardly ever wake up from one push, and now it's worked fine three times in a row.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-30T15:07:52+00:00

    I have been fighting this same problem for weeks and none of the solutions I have read worked. I have found a solution that worked for me, however. Maybe this is buried in the forum somewhere and I missed it but here goes:

    I am using the Microsoft Surface Dock. Turns out there is an update for the dock driver that, for me, fixed the sleep/hibernation issue. Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46703 and download the driver labeled "Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.23.139.0.msi". Install, restart and hopefully it will work for you too!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments