Surface Book 2 won't wake up from sleep. Only by detaching the screen I can wake up.

Anonymous
2018-04-06T07:18:10+00:00

Hello,

My SB2 doesn't wake up from sleep. The only way I can wake it up is by first detaching the screen, then I can press the power button and it will wake up. This takes me about 15secs, which is way too slow for a $2000+ computer.

I have read the 3-step solution Microsoft posted for this problem, and it doesn't help. The hotkeys do not respond (Control+windows+shift+B or 3 taps on up+down volume buttons), the battery is fully charged and I am not going to restart the tablet every single time the computer goes into sleep mode.

What is the solution? Everything else works fine with the surface, I don't want to send back/exchange the surface just for this problem... it seems like some software fix should be enough!

Thanks,

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T20:18:56+00:00

    Hi Jon,

    Running the Power Troubleshooter automatically checks Windows power plans and detects your system settings that affect the power usage. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:

    1. Go to Settings.
    2. Click Update & Security.
    3. Choose Troubleshoot.
    4. Click on Power, then click on the Run the troubleshooter button.

    If running the troubleshooter doesn't work, run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. Click on this link on how to run the toolkit.

    Also, poor connection between the contacts can cause this issue. Try to clean the connectors. More info at  Surface won’t turn on or wake from sleep too.

    1. Detach the Clipboard from the keyboard.
    2. Wet a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol. (Use 95% isopropyl alcohol or higher if possible.) Clean the silver pins on both faces of the three connectors located on the top middle surface of the keyboard hinge. Rub the cotton swab back and forth vigorously to clean the pins. Use a fresh swab to clean each of the connector faces (six in total).
    3. After you're done, make sure the pins are dry and that there are no cotton fibers on the connector. Reattach the Clipboard to the keyboard.

    Performing a clean boot may also help resolve the issue. It is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This eliminates software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. On how to perform a clean boot, click on this link. 

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-10T21:12:53+00:00

    I have this same exact problem with my Surface Book 2 15".  I even went as far as resetting the computer from scratch, which only temporarily fixed the problem.  I found that if I turn off facial recognition I don't have any problems.  I haven't tried Mark Ole's solutions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T17:20:09+00:00

    Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately turning off facial recognition didn't solve my problem...  Best,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T17:44:52+00:00

    Hi Mark,

    Thanks for your answer.

    I tried the Power Troubleshooter, it worked but it didn't help. I tried cleaning the connectors too but that didn't solve the issue either. Also, I tried restarting in clean boot, but I saw no difference...

    If I have the tablet detached, I cannot turn it on either, so the connectors should have nothing to do with it, since I should be able to turn on my tablet independently of the base. One thing I've noticed is that it seems like whenever there is a powering change (connecting/disconnecting power cable or detaching/attaching the tablet) the surface seem to react to it and wakes up as soon as I press power right after that action. But otherwise, no reaction at all...

    Please help! Any more advices?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T17:50:17+00:00

    Yeah, I spoke too soon.  An update ran last night which shutdown the laptop and I was back to being locked out this morning.  A forced shutdown didn't fix it either. I had to plug into an external monitor to get back up and running.  Do you use a multi-minitor setup? I am thinking that it is a video card issue - the 1060 that is in the base. Like it is hanging on startup and that it has been affected by my multi-minitor setup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments