Surface Book 2 won't wake up from sleep. Only by detaching the screen I can wake up.

Anonymous
2018-04-06T07:18:10+00:00

Hello,

My SB2 doesn't wake up from sleep. The only way I can wake it up is by first detaching the screen, then I can press the power button and it will wake up. This takes me about 15secs, which is way too slow for a $2000+ computer.

I have read the 3-step solution Microsoft posted for this problem, and it doesn't help. The hotkeys do not respond (Control+windows+shift+B or 3 taps on up+down volume buttons), the battery is fully charged and I am not going to restart the tablet every single time the computer goes into sleep mode.

What is the solution? Everything else works fine with the surface, I don't want to send back/exchange the surface just for this problem... it seems like some software fix should be enough!

Thanks,

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-17T01:32:29+00:00

    My 15" Surface Pro 2 has the exact same issue and it only started recently. It must be due to a recent update.... When I close the screen (flipping down the tablet onto the keyboard section) the tablet will enter sleep mode and it seems like it will always wake if done within an hour or so. After a few hours the PERMA SLEEP has engaged and I need to hold the power button for 20 seconds for a hard reset (I haven't tried the detach technique that Jon talks about). 

    My guess is that many are affected by this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-16T12:25:00+00:00

    I tried disabling the video card and installing drivers directly from Nvidia.  No change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T18:19:43+00:00

    Yeah, I have the same problem regardless of external monitor too  It just seems to get things running if I connect it. And the tablet works 100% of the time by itself which is when the 1060 video card is not attached.

    When mine gets stuck, tablet always works fine, force restart sometimes works, disconnecting and pressing the power button like you say sometimes works.  I've tried disabling applications that run in the background and that doesn't seem to help.  I concur there is no way it is the connector.

    I wonder if I can disable the 1060 video card in device manager?... I'll test when I have time

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T18:14:02+00:00

    mmm... I do ocassionally use an external monitor, but I have this problem regardless of being connected or not to the monitor. Luckily, in my case I do not need to force a shutdown, I can attach/detach the tablet and then the surface can wake up if I press the power button right after that. It's faster than a full shutdown... but not ideal.

    Not sure where it's coming from... but my guess is that this is related to the multiple wake up/sleep problems reported in surface devices, and not to the video card. But honestly I have no idea...

    Best,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T17:50:17+00:00

    Yeah, I spoke too soon.  An update ran last night which shutdown the laptop and I was back to being locked out this morning.  A forced shutdown didn't fix it either. I had to plug into an external monitor to get back up and running.  Do you use a multi-minitor setup? I am thinking that it is a video card issue - the 1060 that is in the base. Like it is hanging on startup and that it has been affected by my multi-minitor setup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments