After the recent update, I started again having the same problem. This is my third SB2 and it started happening.. It won't turn on if it is totally shut down or in hibernate mode. I have to keep it on sleep mode.
Surface Book 2 won't wake up from sleep. Only by detaching the screen I can wake up.
Hello,
My SB2 doesn't wake up from sleep. The only way I can wake it up is by first detaching the screen, then I can press the power button and it will wake up. This takes me about 15secs, which is way too slow for a $2000+ computer.
I have read the 3-step solution Microsoft posted for this problem, and it doesn't help. The hotkeys do not respond (Control+windows+shift+B or 3 taps on up+down volume buttons), the battery is fully charged and I am not going to restart the tablet every single time the computer goes into sleep mode.
What is the solution? Everything else works fine with the surface, I don't want to send back/exchange the surface just for this problem... it seems like some software fix should be enough!
Thanks,
Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-09-30T14:36:31+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-09-21T09:33:39+00:00 Hi I eventually solved this problem.
My theory to why it happens:
When you turn on or reboot the SurfaceBook 2 it remembers what state it was in before you switched it of. You'll perhaps notice that your apps open as they were before you shut down. The glitch that causes the "won't turn on" problem is also resumed so the problem isn't cleared by a reboot.
What to try:
Make sure you have the latest Windows updates and at least 20% charge.
Hold down the power button, ignore the Slide to shut down your PC screen and keep holding the power button until the computer goes off and the windows logo comes back ... then release the button. If you get a prompt to do a disk check, just cancel it.
Once the computer is up and running you should find the problem has gone. I did this several months ago and I haven't had a problem since.
Hope it helps, let us know!
-
Anonymous
2018-09-21T07:57:28+00:00 Same thing here :< Please just submit a ticket with a critical bug. Its super frustrating.
-
Anonymous
2018-08-22T02:25:18+00:00 My 13.5" Surface Book 2 that I bought in January had the same problem: it wouldn't wake up sometimes unless I detached the screen, and only then could I power it back on.
In April I made an appointment at the MS store, about 30 miles away. They said it was defective and replaced it on the spot. I was in & out within 20 minutes.
In July, the replacement started doing exactly the same thing.
I'll try the hibernation/sleep fix and note if it works. However, since BOTH new Surface Book 2's had the exact same problem a couple months after they began being used, it seems there's a defect that MS needs to fix.
If a end up getting a third Surface Book 2 and it fails the same way, I'm wondering if I can simply get a refund.
-
Anonymous
2018-06-26T13:23:33+00:00 Hi Stephenhonea,
Thank you!! That fix by TrooSyreen worked! It is still weird that this issue is now happening after months of no issues. It leads me to the question, if you do put the computer in hibernation mode, how would you get it to wake up properly? Regardless, the fix that you pointed to has worked so far.