Surface Book 2 won't wake up from sleep. Only by detaching the screen I can wake up.

Anonymous
2018-04-06T07:18:10+00:00

Hello,

My SB2 doesn't wake up from sleep. The only way I can wake it up is by first detaching the screen, then I can press the power button and it will wake up. This takes me about 15secs, which is way too slow for a $2000+ computer.

I have read the 3-step solution Microsoft posted for this problem, and it doesn't help. The hotkeys do not respond (Control+windows+shift+B or 3 taps on up+down volume buttons), the battery is fully charged and I am not going to restart the tablet every single time the computer goes into sleep mode.

What is the solution? Everything else works fine with the surface, I don't want to send back/exchange the surface just for this problem... it seems like some software fix should be enough!

Thanks,

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-22T02:25:18+00:00

    My 13.5" Surface Book 2 that I bought in January had the same problem: it wouldn't wake up sometimes unless I detached the screen, and only then could I power it back on.

    In April I made an appointment at the MS store, about 30 miles away.  They said it was defective and replaced it on the spot.  I was in & out within 20 minutes.

    In July, the replacement started doing exactly the same thing.

    I'll try the hibernation/sleep fix and note if it works.  However, since BOTH new Surface Book 2's had the exact same problem a couple months after they began being used, it seems there's a defect that MS needs to fix. 

    If a end up getting a third Surface Book 2 and it fails the same way, I'm wondering if I can simply get a refund.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-26T13:23:33+00:00

    Hi Stephenhonea,

    Thank you!! That fix by TrooSyreen worked! It is still weird that this issue is now happening after months of no issues. It leads me to the question, if you do put the computer in hibernation mode, how would you get it to wake up properly? Regardless, the fix that you pointed to has worked so far.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-26T03:36:18+00:00

    I had the same issue.  The only way to wake up the surface was clicking the detach button.  The fix is deactivating the hibernation feature.  Follow TrooSyreen's advice.  I had to dig a little in the advanced settings to disable hibernation. 

    TR

    TrooSyreen replied on

    I think I fixed the issue for my Surface Book. Give this a try and let me know if it works for you:

    Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options

    In Power Options click on Change Plan settings (for me I was changing the "balanced" settings). When in the settings click on Change advanced power settings and a new window will open.

    In the new "Advanced settings" screen you will want to EXPAND the Sleep as well as the Power buttons and lid sections. What I noticed is that my computer was set to HIBERNATE after 240 minutes but I had never set this. So essentially the computer would sleep after 30 minutes (the way i have it set) but after 240 minutes it would HIBERNATE. I changed all these settings to NEVER Hibernate and made sure everything was set to put the computer to SLEEP and never use HIBERNATE option.

    So far so good for me, computer slept overnight, and when I came home after work today it finally woke up properly - as soon as I flipped open the screen.

    I should also mention, every other driver and software is standard. I have only used windows update and I have never disabled any drivers or updates.

    Let me know how it goes!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-25T15:41:52+00:00

    I bought my surface 2 in April and I absolutely love it. This past weekend, I noticed that my laptop would go in sleep mode and won't come out of sleep. The detach button would wake it sometimes. I tried all the methods that Mark highlighted above, and nothing has worked. I believe this is a software update issue. Please work on a fix asap. It took me about 10 minutes to get my computer to wake, and it is becoming annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-22T01:49:35+00:00

    Have you installed the updates Stynkfysh1 ?  I just got the surface laptop, and the issue didn't start until the recent updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments