Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-27T16:14:46+00:00

    Hey Johnny, thanks for the reply but, surely, a brand spanking new Surface that I fired up yesterday has all the latest drivers? Unless a critical update that improves the battery life threefold has been released in the last 24 hours of course. How can something out the box need an uninstall/reinstall of the software?

    It’s like a Day One Patch for a video game but, rather than just being a few bug fixes, it’s 75% of the story being added.

    Hey Danny1993

    Product ship date with software installed will never have the most up2date software, it doesn't matter if it is Microsoft in this case, Dell, IBM, Apple, Google, etc. That's real-world production for you, its every industry, in this case yes even Microsoft. But let me know if you help, I'll be happy to lend a hand.

    "The only way of Out of the Box aka OOBE would ever happen in the manner that you are referring to, is done more on the large-scale enterprise solutions end. The Company / Org. Provides a specific Windows image etc. to let's say Dell, IBM, or 3rd party Vendors and they then ship the machines to you with all up2date software drivers / firmware etc. less specified, furthermore if Microsoft was to do such a thing ship time also increases etc. you get the point."

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-15T15:28:48+00:00

    I would also love to improve my surface pro 7's battery life. As a student, I can't even make it through half of the school day without needing to charge. I wake up and start classes at 9 am. By the time I have my 3rd class at around 11am I have to charge. Thats only 2 hours without it draining to percentages in the teens. Luckily, the charger is super fast, however I've had four break. One was my fault, but the rest weren't. I switched to slow charging with USB C as it was more convenient, but I quickly realized that I needed it to be way faster. So now I'm back to surface charging. Now, it does charge my computer from 10% to 50%, but I still have to charge it again to make it through the day. During lunch, right after the previously mentioned period, It can drain a lot. I am not impressed. I loved this computer, but yeah, the sucky battery life will make me switch. I'm buying a M2 Mac Mini soon, and then, I'll buy a mac book pro. Though, I love windows, and will still keep this machine, I, as a music engineering major, and who does video editing and photo editing, need a machine I can trust. Macs are best for my industry, so I'm switching.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T19:28:54+00:00

    I don't know how any real world application can get 16 hours of battery. Lol Not that I ever believed it anyways.

    I have my screen brightness at 30%, Battery saver is ON, refresh rate is 120hz, 2 programs open in a split screen being used and my battery goes down about 15% an hour.

    I'm curious to try reducing the refresh rate to 60hz and see how it improves.

    Other than the battery I do love the Surface Pro 8.

    i7, 256SD, 16gb Ram, LTE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-10T04:16:17+00:00

    After owning two Surface Pro devices, I have accepted the fact that any Intel powered light and thin devices just cannot have good battery life. The Intel CPUs drain battery twice as fast as the Apple M CPUs and yet can only deliver probably 50% of the performance of M CPU when unplugged. It is not a Microsoft issue. They cannot do anything about it less then they switch to AMD CPU or bring their ARM based CPU up to speed with Apple's M CPU. The promised battery life is simply a lie. They should be fined for that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-09-13T07:28:32+00:00

    I also have a Surface Pro 8 and I am suffering from its short battery life (about up to 4.5 hours). The Microsoft just don't admit their fault.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments