Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-15T09:08:51+00:00

    I did exactly what the post said, didn't change a thing.

    Now my problem isn't the same as yours. My SP8 doesn't overheat, and battery life isn't as bad as 2 hours.

    However, I have set a lower CPU max, I have enabled battery saver mode, I have set screen brightness to 15% (which is hardly usable on a bright day!) and it STILL only gives me about 6 hours of use, when Microsoft markets it as "up to 16 hours". There is NO WAY this machine will last for 16 hours in any kind of usable state.

    What did they do to get that estimate, turn off Wifi, set screen brightness to 0% and set to idle?

    This is an expensive machine that is targeted at people on the go, not as a desktop replacement.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-15T22:48:24+00:00

    I purchase a new Surface pro 8 as well and battery last only have a day not watch any you tube or video. I have old surface Laptop I can use a full day and still have some life last in my battery.

    I am think of returning the surface pro 8

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-17T16:29:47+00:00

    Same here. Followed the tips, didn’t help.

    I saw a commercial from Microsoft where they promote that you can connect two external screens.

    Maybe the pro 8 is just a desktop device and the batterie is only to switch from shared desk to another without having to restart. So I guess we are wrong expecting a device designed for mobility. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-23T15:32:16+00:00

    I have a Surface Pro 8 too and it is absolute garbage in terms off battery in the same way you did. It would drain so quickly and after the latest Windows update for Windows 11 it would lose more battery charging. I'm just going to stick with my computer that is 3 times cheaper and has much better performance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more