Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-18T07:05:17+00:00

    I have the same issue

    My surface has been replaced thrice and all 3 have the same issue … battery drains at the speed of 1% per minute

    Microsoft not willing to refund - only suffer with replacements - INSANE

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-18T07:02:11+00:00

    It's like a rubbish, I have the Surface Pro Gen 8 I7, I just switch on less than 2 hrs but 50% battery gone, keep asking the CS of Microsoft but they keep asking me to check the surface with their routine checking methods, then return, in these less than 6 months usage I already return and replaced the Gen 8 3 times, I just ask for refund and never go to Surface Pro again, wasting me time and money.

    Meanwhile, I ask for refund from Microsoft, they say they dont have this policy and keep on replacement, this is what their CS look like??

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-15T20:43:09+00:00

    Hi all,

    Today I have attached Microsoft Surface Pro 8 with Slim Pen2 to MS8. It seems that's causing very rapid battery level decrease. Having keyboard attached, screen on, no application launched, the battery dropped from 50% to 36% in 1.5hour. I have an impression, that without the keyboard attached it hasn't been so quick discharge...

    Pavol

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-23T15:32:16+00:00

    I have a Surface Pro 8 too and it is absolute garbage in terms off battery in the same way you did. It would drain so quickly and after the latest Windows update for Windows 11 it would lose more battery charging. I'm just going to stick with my computer that is 3 times cheaper and has much better performance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments