Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-22T07:26:21+00:00

    I really didn't see the logic of below answer (is this from Microsoft or the KOL for Microsoft??),

    i am not just Surface user, I have Dell and Lenovo, using the same intel CPU, they dont have auto-overclock issue, but why only surface has? It means something happened to Surface which they cannot fix the competability with Intel . Every key branded computer using Intel / AMD / etc as CPU, I just see you need to follow their standard but not blaming the others to elude from your fault??

    ramin.rostami has replied to the question Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute that you are following in Microsoft Community.
    this issue solved...problem comes from INTEL CPU auto overclock please do 2 post above ,link

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-22T07:08:08+00:00

    Issue is not solved.

    Your suggestion only helps a little while draining the performance quite a lot (e.g when working with PowerPoint).

    At the end, I only follow your advice, when I see that I will not have power in a while, and still the battery performance is quite bad (e.g in comparison with my MacBook Air M2)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-21T06:14:06+00:00

    Absolutely INSANE. Brand new Surface Pro 9, using it for the FIRST TIME. Paid nearly $2000. Battery life has gone from 100 to 60% in TWO HOURS. All I have done is set up--syncing with OneDrive and Adobe Creative Cloud, and some light web browsing. At this rate I'll get about 5 hours. On a brand new, $2000 Surface. And, this is my SIXTH Surface and none has ever had more than six hours of battery life. Is Microsoft outright lying about the promised battery life? The claim of 16 hours is absurd in the extreme. And no, I'm not doing anything dumb such as operating it in high heat. I have never abused any of my Surfaces or their batteries. I literally have not opened an app yet and the battery is down 40% in two hours. Much of that time was completely idle.

    WHY SHORT BATTERY LIFE??

    Is Microsoft still replying to this thread?? Microsoft, what do you recommend??

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more