Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T23:35:54+00:00

    I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

    See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

    I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

    Image

    Image

    Hey folks:

    If you are facing quick battery drain, easiest way to fix is navigate to settings / control panel under Apps / Programs and uninstall all Microsoft Surface drivers software etc. and reboot then install the latest (In your case Carleast) click or copy and paste the following URL: --->

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=103503https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=103503STEP1%29STEP1) Download the Drivers Firmware
    STEP2) Uninstall all Surface Software from device - Setting --> Apps --> Microsoft Surface
    STEP2B) Reboot
    STEP3) Install the Firmware / software from previous download and reboot and test

    *NOTE* Everyone else do the same but make sure you download the right MSI pkg for your device.
    URL: Download drivers and firmware for Surface - Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T23:10:36+00:00

    It is an international deception from Microsoft already, they charged at super premium price but giving deflect machine, and keep replacement of the deflecting one, rubbish

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T22:58:33+00:00

    Image

    I thought I was the only one going crazy! I've literally just opened up a brand new Surface Pro 8 this evening and, shocked at how quickly the battery was going down, decided to do a google search to see if there was any precedent. I was amazed upon checking the usage that in only 48 minutes of *browsing the internet and checking system settings* it had used 49% of the battery life. Not to mention the 19% of battery life used just by having edge open in the freakin background for 45 minutes. That's a total of 68% battery life consumed in just over an hour and a half. Why did I spend over a grand on something which has a battery life almost as dreadful as my electric toothbrush?

    The thing I can't understand is the "screen on: 4 hours 6 mins" statistic with "screen off" being only 7 minutes. I cooked dinner, ate it and watched a solid 2 hours of Modern Family all with the case closed and it being on a table in the other room. That all adds up to over 3 hours of not using the thing, but that obviously isn't being reflected in the battery usage chart.

    I've just started a university course so this will mainly be used for uni work, reading studies etc and emailing with casual internet browsing as and when I need to. However, the whole purpose of getting a Surface was to make it convenient with being on the move and not restricted to a desk and power outlet. Has anybody got any official word/comment from MS on this matter, or are we all just posting here to no avail?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T15:50:16+00:00

    Hello

    I have the same issue,

    Just bought yesterday BNIB (24 Nov 2022)

    When I tried to switch on it didn't work, so I have to plug in the charger first and surprised that it was 0% already brand new, normally the new laptop always at least have 30-80% on the first unboxing moment.

    But in May case, totally 0%.

    Then when finally charged at 100%.

    And my outlook and indexing already completed, I tried the battery test with unplugging the charger, the first moment from 100% to 99% was taking almost 20mins, very impressed and happy.

    But my smile suddenly stopped when I see from 99 to 98 in just 1 or 2 mins.

    Also there was a case it went directly from 94 to 92 without going to 93% first in a minutes.

    And finally averagely ita takes only 2 mins per 1 percentile draining.

    I have updated all

    Checking the background app which is not more than 3.

    Very light activity like browsing and YouTube (searching for battery issue) and the display also at 25%brightness.

    So dissatisfied and disappointed with the result.

    I did not expect machine from Microsoft which is 1000 worst than laptop like 200 bucks level.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-11-22T10:25:27+00:00

    Ramin.rostami is not associated with Microsoft in any way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments