Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-23T14:23:49+00:00

    I have the same issue, but for me it looks more like a windows problem. Even when just taking notes in OneNote, the battery runs out after 1-2h. Watching or streaming a movie is almost impossible without having it connected to power. However recently I installed Linux as well to dual boot. On linux I can watch 4k content for 3-4h until the battery is empty. Even touch is much more responsive. I can't understand why a Microsoft device runs Linux better than Microsoft Windows?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T14:21:51+00:00

    I agree 100%

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T14:21:28+00:00

    Yep. I've tried everything suggested by Microsoft to no avail. The battery in these machines is a joke. My law partners have the same issues so I know it isn't just mine that is defective.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T13:24:09+00:00

    Maybe a class action lawsuit could motivate Microsoft to find a solution or at least correct their claims that the battery should last 16 hours. I get 1 hour out of my device and this is basically not usable as a computer. The Surface is a very expensive paper weight and a tremendous cost for service as no one can find the source of the problem.

    Well if anyone wants to do this please count me in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T13:14:23+00:00

    Maybe a class action lawsuit could motivate Microsoft to find a solution or at least correct their claims that the battery should last 16 hours. I get 1 hour out of my device and this is basically not usable as a computer. The Surface is a very expensive paper weight and a tremendous cost for service as no one can find the source of the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments