Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T15:50:16+00:00

    Hello

    I have the same issue,

    Just bought yesterday BNIB (24 Nov 2022)

    When I tried to switch on it didn't work, so I have to plug in the charger first and surprised that it was 0% already brand new, normally the new laptop always at least have 30-80% on the first unboxing moment.

    But in May case, totally 0%.

    Then when finally charged at 100%.

    And my outlook and indexing already completed, I tried the battery test with unplugging the charger, the first moment from 100% to 99% was taking almost 20mins, very impressed and happy.

    But my smile suddenly stopped when I see from 99 to 98 in just 1 or 2 mins.

    Also there was a case it went directly from 94 to 92 without going to 93% first in a minutes.

    And finally averagely ita takes only 2 mins per 1 percentile draining.

    I have updated all

    Checking the background app which is not more than 3.

    Very light activity like browsing and YouTube (searching for battery issue) and the display also at 25%brightness.

    So dissatisfied and disappointed with the result.

    I did not expect machine from Microsoft which is 1000 worst than laptop like 200 bucks level.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-23T15:32:16+00:00

    I have a Surface Pro 8 too and it is absolute garbage in terms off battery in the same way you did. It would drain so quickly and after the latest Windows update for Windows 11 it would lose more battery charging. I'm just going to stick with my computer that is 3 times cheaper and has much better performance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-15T09:08:51+00:00

    I did exactly what the post said, didn't change a thing.

    Now my problem isn't the same as yours. My SP8 doesn't overheat, and battery life isn't as bad as 2 hours.

    However, I have set a lower CPU max, I have enabled battery saver mode, I have set screen brightness to 15% (which is hardly usable on a bright day!) and it STILL only gives me about 6 hours of use, when Microsoft markets it as "up to 16 hours". There is NO WAY this machine will last for 16 hours in any kind of usable state.

    What did they do to get that estimate, turn off Wifi, set screen brightness to 0% and set to idle?

    This is an expensive machine that is targeted at people on the go, not as a desktop replacement.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-05T14:54:15+00:00

    I too have similar problem from day 1 of the purchase; I reported immediately to the seller and Microsoft too. Today is 17th day. I tried whatever said above with the help of the tele-executive of Microsoft Call Centre, but to no avail.

    Rate of discharge is almost 1% per minute of usage. Despite trying hard on available options, I'm yet to find a solution.

    Microsoft Call Centre finally offered for a replacement with refurbished Surface Pro 8; wonder why I paid for a fresh one while I'm getting a refurbished for a fault of Microsoft own product.

    On contrast, I've been using MacBook Air for last 6 years; not even a single complaint on the hardware - not exaggerating.

    Please let me know if there is a way out to improve the battery life without going for the refurbished one. I hate to go for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-08-27T09:11:03+00:00

    Hi Marrion,

    I am experiencing exactly the same problems as Carleast. I have updated the firmware and performed all the suggested steps, but my overall experience is catastrophic. On a full charge, my May 2022 Surface 8 lasts less than 2 hours. Is there anything to do, a part from using it as a 3.000 € coffee-tray? Thanks, Filippo

    This is fightenig as I just ordered one from ao.com here in the UK. I looked again as the battery spec on their website stated six hours and I just pointed out to them this is a typo as MS website states 16 hours with their usual caveats about usage. Is this going to be another disasterous experience with a Surface device and should haved steered cleared when my first Pro 4, with flickering screen, was replaced and then again that one now with a bulging screen cost me 400 quid for a MS refurbed device??

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments