Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T13:24:09+00:00

    Maybe a class action lawsuit could motivate Microsoft to find a solution or at least correct their claims that the battery should last 16 hours. I get 1 hour out of my device and this is basically not usable as a computer. The Surface is a very expensive paper weight and a tremendous cost for service as no one can find the source of the problem.

    Well if anyone wants to do this please count me in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T17:55:01+00:00

    I have a Surface Pro 8 and since day one I am lucky if it lasts 4 hours on battery using mostly Outlook and Teams.

    My Acer Spin 5 2-in-1 lasted about 7 hours at less than third the price.

    My MacBook Air lasts the entire day doing same work.

    There's no way I will spend a penny of my own money on any MS branded laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-08T00:23:59+00:00

    Moi aussi j'ai eu du mal à atteindre les 16heures prétendu par MS pourtant je l'utilise comme poste radio spotify et pour la navigation web et franchement mon record fut de 3h30min avant de la brancher

    have no idea how they achieved that score.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-07T19:02:06+00:00

    Moi aussi j'ai eu du mal à atteindre les 16heures prétendu par MS pourtant je l'utilise comme poste radio spotify et pour la navigation web et franchement mon record fut de 3h30min avant de la brancher

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-09-13T07:28:32+00:00

    I also have a Surface Pro 8 and I am suffering from its short battery life (about up to 4.5 hours). The Microsoft just don't admit their fault.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments