CrystalDiskMark shows 312MB/s 4k write speed.
Not sure why "AS SSD Benchmark" tool is showing ~1MB/sec.
If I make a 10GB file and copy/paste it, its definitely not writing as slow as 1MB per second.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am experiencing very poor SSD writing performance in my Surface Book. It's i5 dGPU 8GB RAM and 256GB storage model. Installing applications and copying files have been really slow. Windows 10 is updated to the latest. Has anyone having the same?
Disabling BitLocker slightly helped (10~20%) but not very much.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
CrystalDiskMark shows 312MB/s 4k write speed.
Not sure why "AS SSD Benchmark" tool is showing ~1MB/sec.
If I make a 10GB file and copy/paste it, its definitely not writing as slow as 1MB per second.
After reading this post and observing the same lame speeds, and especially knowing that the Apple MacBook pro gives 1400 mbps speeds both in read and write I am returning my surface book today. What's the point of paying more than an Apple computer if you don't even get their quality /specs.
BTW, Microsoft has censored my review on the website for the surface book. They don't seem to like it when folks uncover the truth about the failure of their new devices.
Beware people.
Right? It's embarrassing they made such huge claims about these being "NVMe PCIe" drives when we've had much faster performance for years. I can't buy a Surface Book with these issues still standing...why should I play the lottery with crappy SSDs? I don't want to end up like those poor Surface Pro 3 owners right now:
And, not to make this issue more frustrating, Michael, but it looks like it is related to dual-sourcing. Some other Surface Books were given Toshiba XG3 drives, which run a much more respectable 1.6GB/s read with 1GB/s write. Oddly, while Ars and Engadget got that drive, very few users did (see the /r/Surface subreddit).
So, to Microsoft's employees reading this thread: OK, I agree, this thread is a little hostile towards Microsoft right now. And you likely don't have any positive news to offer about this situation. So, I don't expect any Microsoft employee is willing to touch this situation with a 10-foot pole.
But, currently, both Anandtech and Windows Central are investigating this issue. Anandtech's review of the Surface Book will land either today or early next week (according to the author's expectation). I don't expect a rave review.
Any comments before those stories go live? I'm sure you've been contacted by Brett Howse from Anandtech and Daniel Rubino from Windows Central, but maybe you can speak directly to your customers, without any "middle man".
The possibilities of a "saving grace" in this situation are very limited now because so many people have bought these systems on launch day and the two week return period lands...huh, look at that, Monday. Likely lots of users are about to get burned.
So, without a Microsoft response, let's guess how they will explain this issue away to their $2500 customers, if they are ever asked about it directly (which will be surprising in of itself):
"Microsoft continues to see high demand for the Surface Book. To ensure our customers receive their orders as quickly as possible, we utilize global supply streams for our components. In some cases, this results in different vendors fulfilling component orders to meet the high demand. We ensure that the components meet our strict quality control and match our performance expectations so that all our customers can enjoy the category-breaking Surface Book experience."
That's enough PR speak, right? :p
its funny surface pro 3 faster than surface book
Err, you have a 256GB drive; the OP has a 128GB drive. Bigger SSDs have different performance. And, technically, since your drive is in a used state, it's not able to be directly compared. Used SSDs have slower performance (in general) than brand-spanking-new drives.
its funny surface pro 3 faster than surface book
It's a shame that they decided to put such bad storage in "Ultimate" laptop.