Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 on screen keyboard

Anonymous
2015-07-30T21:45:08+00:00

Is anyone else having issues with the on screen keyboard for your Surface Pro 3 after the Windows 10 update? When I go to tablet mode an enter an app, the on screen keyboard will not pop up. An example is in the weather app. When I touch the field to input a city name, the on screen keyboard is nowhere to be found. I have to connect the type cover back to my Pro 3.

Any suggestions on this? Thanks.

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-04T16:04:15+00:00

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Windows 10 on our Surface. 

Regarding the onscreen keyboard, the information I have is that, by design, you must manually open the onscreen keyboard by selecting the keyboard from the taskbar.

MODERATOR EDIT:  If you don't see the icon, right-click (or press and hold) the taskbar and make sure the Show touch keyboard button has a check mark next to it.

Thanks,

Josh

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-12T22:54:28+00:00

can't figure out how to get my on-screen keyboard to come back on/up after installing Windows 10.

Give an example of how you think you need it.  Do you have your Surface in Tablet mode?  Do you have a pen?  You could go to the Windows Ease of Access item in the All Apps menu (hence obscurely listed under the W) and open the On Screen Keyboard (OSK).   Then provided you never close it but at most only Minimize it you will always be able to access the OSK via the Task pane (e.g. with a swipe from the left and a tap on that thumbnail)

Good luck

Robert


Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-21T19:00:20+00:00

    After the Windows 10 upgrade my electronic keyboard will not show up when in tablet mode (ie the keyboard is not attached).  It is very time consuming to manually bring up the keyboard every time I need to fill in a field.  In Windows 8.1 it automatically came up.  Thoughts out there?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-09T00:26:02+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    This just happened out of the blue, as I use my Surface Pro 3 daily for work, but my type cover suddenly doesn't work at all, keys and track pad. In fact, my Pro doesn't even recognize the cover at all. I have tried every step on the troubleshooting page to no avail. I do not see the cover in my device manager settings under keyboard. I have run the latest Windows 10 upgrades and even reset my Pro. Nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    My type cover just stopped working as well. The surface sees it and says it is connected but it does nothing. I restored windows 8 1 but that made it worse.  it took two hours to get the screen to rotate to normal  position.  now the on screen keyboard  won't automatically pop up and I have to move it around the screen!  I thought windows 8 was horrible but 10 is wreaking havoc on this surface!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-20T19:47:55+00:00

    The on-screen keyboard pops up automatically, once you try entering text in 'tablet' mode, but it doesn't do it in 'desktop' mode. Please bring back the "auto" onscreen keyboard.  It's a pain to have to manually open it every time I need to type in desktop mode without the type cover.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments