Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 on screen keyboard

Anonymous
2015-07-30T21:45:08+00:00

Is anyone else having issues with the on screen keyboard for your Surface Pro 3 after the Windows 10 update? When I go to tablet mode an enter an app, the on screen keyboard will not pop up. An example is in the weather app. When I touch the field to input a city name, the on screen keyboard is nowhere to be found. I have to connect the type cover back to my Pro 3.

Any suggestions on this? Thanks.

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-04T16:04:15+00:00

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Windows 10 on our Surface. 

Regarding the onscreen keyboard, the information I have is that, by design, you must manually open the onscreen keyboard by selecting the keyboard from the taskbar.

MODERATOR EDIT:  If you don't see the icon, right-click (or press and hold) the taskbar and make sure the Show touch keyboard button has a check mark next to it.

Thanks,

Josh

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-12T22:54:28+00:00

can't figure out how to get my on-screen keyboard to come back on/up after installing Windows 10.

Give an example of how you think you need it.  Do you have your Surface in Tablet mode?  Do you have a pen?  You could go to the Windows Ease of Access item in the All Apps menu (hence obscurely listed under the W) and open the On Screen Keyboard (OSK).   Then provided you never close it but at most only Minimize it you will always be able to access the OSK via the Task pane (e.g. with a swipe from the left and a tap on that thumbnail)

Good luck

Robert


Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-17T15:57:47+00:00

    Screen blinks when you push both.

    I think that means you just took a Snapshot.  Look in  Pictures\Screenshots, sorted by Date to see.  In that case the effect of your workaround for your problem would be to refresh the screen.

    OMG.  I don't know if I did something which made this happen but FWIW I'm seeing that, the most recent Screenshot, in Quick Access under Recent Files.  Wow.  File Explorer might actually start to seem useful instead of a pain to work with.   That would be a plus for W10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-17T15:09:08+00:00

    Windows button (on screen) and volume down on the surface brought back the on screen keyboard.

    Screen blinks when you push both.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-12T20:38:16+00:00

    Help! I've read thru everyone's replies and STILL can't figure out how to get my on-screen keyboard to come back on/up after installing Windows 10. Where's the taskbar that Josh mentions? I've tried a couple of the other suggestions to no avail. This is really frustrating!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments