bluethooth mouse breaks wireless connection

Anonymous
2013-07-23T16:05:01+00:00

I originally posted this here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-hardware/wifi-keeps-dropping-on-my-surface-kills-bluetooth/96faf92c-41af-4611-b5c2-c52702a3f241

Anyway, after a few reinstalls. I still have the same issue on my surface pro. When I go a few days without using my Microsoft Sculpt comfort Mouse, I have no problems. When I do use it, I get a total breakdown of wireless connections.  First my mouse stops responding. Then wifi drops, normally theres a lag before I see it show up on the wifi icon in the system tray. When I click it, it shows 'No connections are available', followed by 'troubleshoot' The only fix is to reboot, which it won't ever do properly after this error. I always have to hold the power button down and do a manual reset.

I also have random times when the Bluetooth goes out but comes back on. This can take about a minute to happen. When this happens, the wifi stays on.  I also have a lot of lag in the mouse while downloading/streaming anything from the internet.

Obviously this is Windows 8.1, running on a Surface Pro, using a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon!

Thanks,

Kevin

Surface | Surface Pro | Network

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-27T13:16:24+00:00

    Surface pro 3 + Microsoft universal keyboard, Tecknet Bluetooth mouse. They work OK at home, but here at work the Bluetooth dies after a few minutes idle, then I cant resurrect it. Tried hard rebooting the Surface, it sees the keyboard, I click to pair, it immediately says "that didn't work, make sure the keyboard is on".

    This does smack of some sort of radio interference, at home I use a Netgear R7000, here at work, I have no idea.

    I'll experiment more over the weekend.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-27T17:34:34+00:00

    Yeah it kind of interesting. The added 5 ghz signal in the routers is misunderstood The 5 ghz signals are better for shorter range and more direct routes, less solid objects between the router and the PC. They can carry more data in theory but require more energy to do so. The lower 2,4ghz is a shorter wave length so it can travel through solid objects better and uses less power to go further.

    The 2.4 is actually a better choose in most cases. The one exception is if there are a lot of devices in the house or the  wireless network area that also use 2.4 ghz and a simple change of the radio in the router settings doesn't fix it. Or if the speed is more important then the range. although in most cases the 2.4ghz can outperform the 5ghz as far as speed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-24T06:45:01+00:00

    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was hoping to be upgrading soon, so wasn't sure if it would matter anymore, but it's good to know regardless, as by the sound of it, a lot of devices can experience this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-22T18:11:13+00:00

    I believe that dvice broadcast in the range of  5.15 to 5.25ghz You should be able to go in to your settings and change the channel to a different one then your router. I can't remember for the 5ghz side but I think the channels need to be 3 or 4 channels apart. So if you have the mouse in channel 1 you would want the router on channel 4 or 5. Better to set the mouse in the middle because most routers will default to the lowest or highest channels. IF your router broadcast bellow/above the mouse range you can just set your router to broadcast outside of that range and it shouldn't be an issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-22T12:37:19+00:00

    This also happens for me on a Dell 13 laptop/tablet.   I had to stop using the MS Sculpt Comfort Mouse as when it was on it killed my network connection.  See complete story here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments