Do you want to switch to tablet mode?

Anonymous
2015-11-10T23:42:15+00:00

Windows Update updated my SB today.  There was one Windows security update, the Malicious Software Removal Tool, and a Flash update for IE.

Today, I have started receiving unsolicited Notifications asking me if I want to switch to tablet mode?  These have come at random times while using the SB with the display attached to the keyboard.  At no time in the last week have I disconnected the display from the keyboard.

Why have these inappropriate Notifications started?  How can I end them?

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-12T06:24:08+00:00

    That's interesting. I can confirm.

    If I click "check for updates" in the Windows Store App, I can get it to come up. If it doesn't happen once, it'll happen if I keep clicking. Seems to do it every 2-3 times.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-11T22:04:44+00:00

    Hello all

    Please report your experiences after installing the latest Windows 10 updates.

    Also, please tell us more about events preceding this behavior.  Was Surface mobile recently?  Does use of a certain accessory, activity or app seem to lead to this?

    Thank you for providing feedback.

    Best regards 

    Hi there,

    I certainly will.....I had been seeing this issue.

    (All of the below is with the clipboard attached)

    After the 12/2 update.

    No more......'display driver stopped working'.......messages anymore.

    But then my SB i7/16/512, seemed to be randomly entering 'Tablet' mode. (a brief flash of the screen was noted)

    I tried to stop this by enabling, 'Always ask me before switching' in the Tablet Mode settings.

    I would then get random messages popping up, asking me if I wanted to 'enable tablet mode'.

    This was always coupled with an 'auto rotate on' window popping up in the top left portion of the screen.

    (it's as though it thinks the clipboard has been detached)

    These occurrences seem to be completely random, and I'll try and keep note of any in the future.

    12/9.....

    After and overnight hibernation.

    Just brought my SB out of hibernation and got the message......'do you want to switch to tablet mode'......

    (Rotation lock is no longer grayed out in the notification panel)

    Edit....

    After a short delay~1 min.....Rotation lock is now grayed out again.

    12/9.....

    I can usually re-produce the 'do you want to switch to tablet mode' by doing the following.

    From the start screen I launch the 'Store' app, and then check for updates......if I check for updates 2 or 3 times, this usually triggers the 'do you want to switch to tablet mode' message appear + the 'auto rotate on' message.

    Also, the 'Rotation lock' is no longer grayed out in the notification area.....again, after a short delay, the 'Rotation Lock' becomes grayed out.

    Tellson has described what I see with my i7/8/256 SB perfectly. When I open the Store app and check for updates, I will see this happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-11T21:58:59+00:00

    Someone from MS has responded to this thread on the same issue asking for as many specific scenarios as we can provide:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfbook-surfperf/do-you-want-to-switch-to-tablet-mode/ee112e7f-9ddc-48b6-b8e8-d828bdcc8618

    Try to pay attention to exactly what you were doing with the device when you see it happen and update that thread so they can add it to their tests while working to reproduce and track down the cause of the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-11T21:31:00+00:00

    I've posted this issue before without receiving any satisfactory answer, so I thought I would post this again.

    I continue to have an issue whereby I will be working in desktop mode, with the "clipboard" firmly attached to the keyboard base, and all of a sudden, my Surface will switch into tablet mode. It will even do this while I'm typing using the keyboard dock. This issue doesn't happen all the time, but it does occur too frequently and this is incredibly annoying.

    So, besides the one response I got from an MFST support rep to change the settings to make it ask me to switch modes, which I don't want to do because it is more convenient to have it automatically switch modes when I detach the clipboard into tablet mode and back to desktop mode when I reattach it to the keyboard base, is there anything else I can do to fix this problem? And yes, everything has been updated and I've tried cleaning the dock's connectors. Neither has helped.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-12-11T21:09:48+00:00

    I've run into this, as well. Windows is switching to tablet mode without undocking the tablet portion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments