Greetings all,
We are working on a solution for the Limited WiFi issue. Please refer to the following thread for potential workarounds while we are working on the WiFi issue:
http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/c593dff8-61b3-496c-b8f2-f9deb3e4b35e
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I had an issue this morning where Surface couldn't find any wifi networks (when 5 were in the area) and it was connected the previous night. I solved this issue by searching windows rt for Network. Open Network Connections, find the wifi device and then disable this connection. After a minute - I re-enabled the connection and then it started to work.
Just wanted to share my experience if anyone runs into the same issue. Thanks!
Nate
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings all,
We are working on a solution for the Limited WiFi issue. Please refer to the following thread for potential workarounds while we are working on the WiFi issue:
http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/c593dff8-61b3-496c-b8f2-f9deb3e4b35e
Greetings everyone,
Thank you for your continued interest, feedback and assistance in investigating the Limited WiFi issue on the Surface.
Not all limited connectivity scenarios have solutions that can be controlled by the Wi-Fi drivers of a given device. Limited connectivity scenarios result from a complex interaction of device Wi-Fi drivers, access point firmware, access point configuration, and other environmental factors.
If following the steps in the provided links below fail to resolve your Wi-Fi issue I encourage you to create a new thread.
You will most likely have to do a REFRESH. Most of us has had to do that. For some reason or another the driver gets corrupted. You may also do a trick that most others have done as well as long as you don't have the 8.1 Preview of Windows 8 RT installed.
That trick is to open the Control Panel and go do Device Manager. Look for the Marvel WiFi adapter and "Uninstall" the driver but "DO NOT DELETE IT". When finished, reboot the tablet and it should connect.
Try that trick first and if it doesn't work, then do a REFRESH.
Hello priscillaodendaal,
Sorry to hear you are having problems connecting to WiFi.
You should be able to connect to WiFi. Are you getting any errors when trying to connect? Are you able to see the networks and not connect to them?
Let us know.
Best regards.
This problem is apparently not limited to the Surface and Windows RT.
I installed full Windows 8 Pro on one of my laptops. It has been working fine and connecting to my Netgear wireless router.
This past weekend I took it out of the house to a meeting, and it couldn't connect to anything. Not my Verizon MyFi hotspot. Not to the wireless router at the home where the meeting was held. (The host obligingly set his router to 'g' only, which did not help at all.) Not to a phone that had hotspot capability. On the way home I tried it at a Starbucks and another location that had free wifi. Nothing. When I got back home the laptop connected very happily to my Netgear router,
Fortunately I was able to do what I needed at the meeting with my phone. But there were a lot of people at the meeting who were not at all impressed with Windows 8. And who wondered, as I have been doing, how Microsoft managed to let this out into the world when it is so clearly broken.