Surface Screen has red and yellow burn marks and is now separating from frame

Anonymous
2017-10-16T01:55:25+00:00

I first noticed the problem as yellow and red marks like burns down the edge of the screen about 3 weeks ago (end Sep 2017).  There then appeared similar marks along the top.  The marks are approx. 3cm long.

The surface screen is now separating from the frame on the top 1/3 on the right hand side.  This space is approximately 0.5cm.

From reading the various forums it appears that it's related to gluing and heat generated by the screen.

I contacted Microsoft customer service today (16 Oct 2017) and have been told that the problem is being escalated to Level 3.

As I bought the surface laptop in Dec 2015, I have been told its out of warranty so they can do nothing.

Customer Service Reference Number: **********

I have never had this type of problem with any other laptop/tablet I have bought or used ranging from ultra portable, desk top replacement and of course corporate laptops.

Build, design or what problem?  I don't expect all my windows to fall out of my car after 2 years even if I am driving in Singapore ;-D

Hope this helps others understand what could be happening and also keeping my fingers crossed I get it fixed gratis.

**Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.**

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-21T01:08:44+00:00

I was fortunate in that they agreed to replace the machine.  Though I think the person dealing with it gave really good customer service.  I got the laptop in the UK and now live in Singapore (surface book not here??).  So the arrangement was to send it to a UK address and then I collected from there and the faulty laptop was then shipped back via their courier to Microsoft.

I would persist and visually document the fault, my guess is with prolonged use it will get worse.

I think the MS warranty seems a little weak.  Take a car, major components have a longer warranty than the small stuff.  I think this should be the case with IT as well.

Good luck!

Happy Christmas and New Year (less the laptop part...)

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-17T02:48:45+00:00

Hi Jason,

You mentioned that you checked other threads relating to this concern and the references suggest that the heat generated by the device caused the problem. Is this the same situation on your case? If your device heats up, were you able to check which programs cause it?

You can check with Answer Desk to get updates about your service request. They'd be able to give you the best options if the device can no longer be replaced.

Find useful information about Surface warranty by opening this link.

Come back if you need more help.

Regards.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-21T16:44:47+00:00

    It seems to me that this hardware issue has been acknowledged by Microsoft and precedence on how to handle the issue in regards to customer service has already been made. It disappoints me that every time there is a new instance of this type of failure, Microsoft's customers service team has to reinvent the wheel in order to respond.

    My experience was that I took photos of my device to clarify the problem. When I spoke to MS customer support, I was able to email those photos. I also referred to this forum (copied the URL on my email) to show that not only is this a known reoccurring problem, but folks were getting new replacement devices to rectify the situation. After my email the issue was escalated by MS customer service and within a week I had my new Surface. Shipping my old Surface back took a few weeks because it was shipped by a private carrier. 

    I have to say I was prepared to go to my state attorney general and/or the BBB if I was not happy with the resolution. In my mind any other result than a replacement device would have been unacceptable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-21T20:02:15+00:00

    Thanks for your reply. I heard from Microsoft today and your described solution is the same for myself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-21T20:07:01+00:00

    Great!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments