Surface Screen has red and yellow burn marks and is now separating from frame

Anonymous
2017-10-16T01:55:25+00:00

I first noticed the problem as yellow and red marks like burns down the edge of the screen about 3 weeks ago (end Sep 2017).  There then appeared similar marks along the top.  The marks are approx. 3cm long.

The surface screen is now separating from the frame on the top 1/3 on the right hand side.  This space is approximately 0.5cm.

From reading the various forums it appears that it's related to gluing and heat generated by the screen.

I contacted Microsoft customer service today (16 Oct 2017) and have been told that the problem is being escalated to Level 3.

As I bought the surface laptop in Dec 2015, I have been told its out of warranty so they can do nothing.

Customer Service Reference Number: **********

I have never had this type of problem with any other laptop/tablet I have bought or used ranging from ultra portable, desk top replacement and of course corporate laptops.

Build, design or what problem?  I don't expect all my windows to fall out of my car after 2 years even if I am driving in Singapore ;-D

Hope this helps others understand what could be happening and also keeping my fingers crossed I get it fixed gratis.

**Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.**

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-21T01:08:44+00:00

I was fortunate in that they agreed to replace the machine.  Though I think the person dealing with it gave really good customer service.  I got the laptop in the UK and now live in Singapore (surface book not here??).  So the arrangement was to send it to a UK address and then I collected from there and the faulty laptop was then shipped back via their courier to Microsoft.

I would persist and visually document the fault, my guess is with prolonged use it will get worse.

I think the MS warranty seems a little weak.  Take a car, major components have a longer warranty than the small stuff.  I think this should be the case with IT as well.

Good luck!

Happy Christmas and New Year (less the laptop part...)

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-17T02:48:45+00:00

Hi Jason,

You mentioned that you checked other threads relating to this concern and the references suggest that the heat generated by the device caused the problem. Is this the same situation on your case? If your device heats up, were you able to check which programs cause it?

You can check with Answer Desk to get updates about your service request. They'd be able to give you the best options if the device can no longer be replaced.

Find useful information about Surface warranty by opening this link.

Come back if you need more help.

Regards.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-31T13:39:13+00:00

    Thanks.

    I found it after I sent you the question.

    I called them and it SEEMS they will take care of it, but I am not sure yet as I sent them pictures that they need to see to decide what to do.

    While talking to the rep, she asked me to use it as little as possible.

    I asked if it could explode, she stated in return that it could be dangerous...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-30T19:47:49+00:00

    Hi Ed,

    what phone number did you use please?

    I believe our IT guy started with the one in this thread - 425-635-2970.

    Got my machine last week, so setting it up now. Still haven't been contacted on how they will pick up the old one yet, so it sits in a corner.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-30T12:50:29+00:00

    Hi Again, I see the number in your previous post.

    thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments