Surface Screen has red and yellow burn marks and is now separating from frame

Anonymous
2017-10-16T01:55:25+00:00

I first noticed the problem as yellow and red marks like burns down the edge of the screen about 3 weeks ago (end Sep 2017).  There then appeared similar marks along the top.  The marks are approx. 3cm long.

The surface screen is now separating from the frame on the top 1/3 on the right hand side.  This space is approximately 0.5cm.

From reading the various forums it appears that it's related to gluing and heat generated by the screen.

I contacted Microsoft customer service today (16 Oct 2017) and have been told that the problem is being escalated to Level 3.

As I bought the surface laptop in Dec 2015, I have been told its out of warranty so they can do nothing.

Customer Service Reference Number: **********

I have never had this type of problem with any other laptop/tablet I have bought or used ranging from ultra portable, desk top replacement and of course corporate laptops.

Build, design or what problem?  I don't expect all my windows to fall out of my car after 2 years even if I am driving in Singapore ;-D

Hope this helps others understand what could be happening and also keeping my fingers crossed I get it fixed gratis.

**Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.**

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-21T01:08:44+00:00

I was fortunate in that they agreed to replace the machine.  Though I think the person dealing with it gave really good customer service.  I got the laptop in the UK and now live in Singapore (surface book not here??).  So the arrangement was to send it to a UK address and then I collected from there and the faulty laptop was then shipped back via their courier to Microsoft.

I would persist and visually document the fault, my guess is with prolonged use it will get worse.

I think the MS warranty seems a little weak.  Take a car, major components have a longer warranty than the small stuff.  I think this should be the case with IT as well.

Good luck!

Happy Christmas and New Year (less the laptop part...)

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-17T02:48:45+00:00

Hi Jason,

You mentioned that you checked other threads relating to this concern and the references suggest that the heat generated by the device caused the problem. Is this the same situation on your case? If your device heats up, were you able to check which programs cause it?

You can check with Answer Desk to get updates about your service request. They'd be able to give you the best options if the device can no longer be replaced.

Find useful information about Surface warranty by opening this link.

Come back if you need more help.

Regards.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-04T14:54:45+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    I first noticed extensive light discoloration of the screen about 8 months ago which I was told at the time was normal (light bleeding screen phenomena which sometimes happens on laptop). This was obviously worst with dark background (like watching movies, ets...) but not so much a problem for me as I mostly use my surface for work/business.  In the last 2 weeks the problem worsen and now this is what the screen looks like.

    Sure enough, after a quick web search, this appears to be a common defect of this surface and I found out that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Spent hours on the phone yesterday with no luck. Got disconnected while being transfered to their business department and of course, no one called me back. So I called again to follow up on my issue to simply be dismissed out because it was out of warranty. 

    I did not want to play the safety card as I am now sure what the real issue is. One may claim this is only an aesthetic issue and viewing inconvenience but looking at what might be coming up next with this defect and the lamination of the screen pushed out by a potentially defective battery, got me concerned. I am travelling constantly to go to my clients and in planes all the time. Battery issue and airplanes do not go well together so I am hoping someone will finally take this seriously and actually help the customers who purchased top dollars to get a "reliable" machine. Ironically I just saw an ad from MS stating that loyal customers are willing to pay top dollars. Probably true as long as the company stands by their products & their customers.

    I will try another follow up and update my post once I hear back from MS...

    A concerned loyal customer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-27T21:21:37+00:00

    Hi there! My experience was that after three phone calls to Microsoft Customer Support, I finally spoke to someone who thought my issue concerning. I took pictures of the screen, emailed to support along with the url of this forum to show that this is a known issue that was resolved with a replacement. I never got a clear answer when I asked if this was a safety issue. However, when I received the packaging provided by Microsoft to return my Surface, the enclosed letter acknowledged that this was a battery issue. The return was treated as hazmat, complete with hazmat packaging and private carrier.

    Hope this helps and good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-27T20:58:48+00:00

    I have a fully loaded Surface Book Pro with the same "burn" marks on the upper 1/2 of the right edge of the screen. I just noticed it about a week ago. My screen hasn't de-laminated yet but I am not happy and fear that it will soon start getting worse. I have had the computer overheat 2 or 3 times and had to shut it down and let it cool off. I purchased it pretty soon after it was announced so it is probably "out of warranty". This is the second issue I have had with the surface book. The first issue was a failure of the separate power supply with the extra ports. Microsoft replaced it after several phone calls and lots of wasted time.  The screen issue really concerns me and I think Microsoft should fix it without me spending more money! This was not a cheapo computer and it is  used in a home environment not a full time office. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about getting it fixed. We don't have a Microsoft store in Wichita, KS but we do have Microsoft dealers like Best Buy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments