Surface Screen has red and yellow burn marks and is now separating from frame

Anonymous
2017-10-16T01:55:25+00:00

I first noticed the problem as yellow and red marks like burns down the edge of the screen about 3 weeks ago (end Sep 2017).  There then appeared similar marks along the top.  The marks are approx. 3cm long.

The surface screen is now separating from the frame on the top 1/3 on the right hand side.  This space is approximately 0.5cm.

From reading the various forums it appears that it's related to gluing and heat generated by the screen.

I contacted Microsoft customer service today (16 Oct 2017) and have been told that the problem is being escalated to Level 3.

As I bought the surface laptop in Dec 2015, I have been told its out of warranty so they can do nothing.

Customer Service Reference Number: **********

I have never had this type of problem with any other laptop/tablet I have bought or used ranging from ultra portable, desk top replacement and of course corporate laptops.

Build, design or what problem?  I don't expect all my windows to fall out of my car after 2 years even if I am driving in Singapore ;-D

Hope this helps others understand what could be happening and also keeping my fingers crossed I get it fixed gratis.

**Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.**

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-21T01:08:44+00:00

I was fortunate in that they agreed to replace the machine.  Though I think the person dealing with it gave really good customer service.  I got the laptop in the UK and now live in Singapore (surface book not here??).  So the arrangement was to send it to a UK address and then I collected from there and the faulty laptop was then shipped back via their courier to Microsoft.

I would persist and visually document the fault, my guess is with prolonged use it will get worse.

I think the MS warranty seems a little weak.  Take a car, major components have a longer warranty than the small stuff.  I think this should be the case with IT as well.

Good luck!

Happy Christmas and New Year (less the laptop part...)

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-17T02:48:45+00:00

Hi Jason,

You mentioned that you checked other threads relating to this concern and the references suggest that the heat generated by the device caused the problem. Is this the same situation on your case? If your device heats up, were you able to check which programs cause it?

You can check with Answer Desk to get updates about your service request. They'd be able to give you the best options if the device can no longer be replaced.

Find useful information about Surface warranty by opening this link.

Come back if you need more help.

Regards.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-21T00:57:20+00:00

    Looks like I have the same issue as these other folks. I noticed burn marks on the screen that have developed in three different places within the last week. Although the display lamination has not started bulging yet, I am concerned about this issue being a safety issue if it is truly a battery issue. And I also have the problem that I'm out of warranty. I have a support contact request for Microsoft to call and discuss with me a solution. This is a hardware problem that Microsoft knows very well and although we are out of warranty they must give us a satisfying answer.  A $3000.00 Surface Book should not be having this type of issue at 29 months of age.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T00:53:18+00:00

    I cannot say for certain but I had an international warranty but as it was bought in the UK the replacement had to be delivered to a UK address.  I then collected it from a friend.  Subsequently a courier collected the faulty laptop from Singapore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-19T19:31:29+00:00

    I think from my past experience that the surface doesn't handle hard processing over extended periods of time well.  I had some extended periods of use over a few days and that's when I first started to notice the marks.  I still had it powered down, screen saver and in an AC room but it still occurred.

    I have to be thankful as I did get my problem resolved and Microsoft UK provide great customer service.

    I know this doesn't solve the problem but perhaps some more context to the issue might help someone.

    I am currently in Saudi Arabia and I am facing the same issue with my Surface Book screen with burn marks on the right and left sides of the screen.  However, the screen is almost popping out, but not quiet yet.

    I bought the device in the USA in 2015 and I wonder if the warranty is an international one and I can get the problem looked at and fixed in Saudi Arabia.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments