Surface Screen has red and yellow burn marks and is now separating from frame

Anonymous
2017-10-16T01:55:25+00:00

I first noticed the problem as yellow and red marks like burns down the edge of the screen about 3 weeks ago (end Sep 2017).  There then appeared similar marks along the top.  The marks are approx. 3cm long.

The surface screen is now separating from the frame on the top 1/3 on the right hand side.  This space is approximately 0.5cm.

From reading the various forums it appears that it's related to gluing and heat generated by the screen.

I contacted Microsoft customer service today (16 Oct 2017) and have been told that the problem is being escalated to Level 3.

As I bought the surface laptop in Dec 2015, I have been told its out of warranty so they can do nothing.

Customer Service Reference Number: **********

I have never had this type of problem with any other laptop/tablet I have bought or used ranging from ultra portable, desk top replacement and of course corporate laptops.

Build, design or what problem?  I don't expect all my windows to fall out of my car after 2 years even if I am driving in Singapore ;-D

Hope this helps others understand what could be happening and also keeping my fingers crossed I get it fixed gratis.

**Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.**

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-21T01:08:44+00:00

I was fortunate in that they agreed to replace the machine.  Though I think the person dealing with it gave really good customer service.  I got the laptop in the UK and now live in Singapore (surface book not here??).  So the arrangement was to send it to a UK address and then I collected from there and the faulty laptop was then shipped back via their courier to Microsoft.

I would persist and visually document the fault, my guess is with prolonged use it will get worse.

I think the MS warranty seems a little weak.  Take a car, major components have a longer warranty than the small stuff.  I think this should be the case with IT as well.

Good luck!

Happy Christmas and New Year (less the laptop part...)

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-17T02:48:45+00:00

Hi Jason,

You mentioned that you checked other threads relating to this concern and the references suggest that the heat generated by the device caused the problem. Is this the same situation on your case? If your device heats up, were you able to check which programs cause it?

You can check with Answer Desk to get updates about your service request. They'd be able to give you the best options if the device can no longer be replaced.

Find useful information about Surface warranty by opening this link.

Come back if you need more help.

Regards.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-24T17:57:51+00:00

    Jason,

    Thank you so much for your reply. I will pursue this issue again with Microsoft given your experience. I've had a career in tech support as well as a systems analyst and my experience is that IT has the same standards as any other industry.

    I really LOVE my Surface Pro and but I can't see paying for another one if MS doesn't stand by it's manufacturing methods. That is just poor business practices that I believe will bite them in the end.

    Anyway, thank you again for your response. Singapore is a such a wonderful city (I speak as a tourist, not a resident)!

    Have a great holiday and have a safe trip home.

    Regards,

    Cathy

    Thanks Cathy, i was about to take the L that comes with this issue until i saw your post. I called on a whim and was redirected to the store where they replaced my device with the same model. Idk if it's new or s refurb but the battery issue is not present so I'm happy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-11T23:40:46+00:00

    I wonder how much of this issue was exacerbated by the hot-bagging issue? I got my SP4 in Feb 2016 and it wasn't until May/June 2016 they had power management mostly figured out, so I'd take my SP4 out of my bag and it would be insanely hot where it was running full tilt (doing whatever it thought it needed to do) with no ventilation. I just wonder if that led to a premature demise.

    I also got a bit of a bonus with mine. I had a rare model - an i5 with 16GB of RAM. Rare enough that they aren't providing those in refurbished models. I guess the only model they have with 16GB is an i7 with 1TB of storage.

    So they did right by me by making sure that the refurbished model met or exceeded the specs of the processor/SSD size/RAM size.

    If it only lasts 2 more years I'll be ok. I rarely keep models after 4 years, but hopefully the battery I have now isn't subject to the bulging.

    My old one is still here. And either the battery is still bulging (despite being fully drained after 4 weeks of no use) or now that the screen has separated, the screen glue is coming off on its own. I can see way underneath it now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-11T15:36:30+00:00

    Hi All,

    MS does seem to be owning this on some levels.

    They have replaced my Surface Book after I sent them pictures of the bloated battery.

    Unfortunately it is only a refurbished replacement with a 90 day warranty.

    I went through support, but eventually I landed on taking it to a local MS store and they did the replacement.

    When I asked if they had solved the problem, (particularly referencing the refurbished book), the tech was not sure, but they "were hoping so".

    Getting it home I started setting it up running updates etc... do you think it got really hot?

    Indeed, it did....

    so, here we are...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments