How to install Windows 32-bit version in my surface pro?

Anonymous
2013-05-09T13:44:46+00:00

I have a surface. But it pre-installed windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I don't want to use 64-bit software, so I wanna install a new 32-bit Windows 8 on my surface Pro. But when I boot from my installing media, I find that surface can't get in to installing screen... I feel bad about it, who can tell me how to install Windows 8 32-bit in my surface?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-05T03:16:39+00:00

Sorry, but I think you're SOL.  My understanding of it is that UEFI has to have the same architecture as the OS you're trying to run.  The Surface Pro UEFI is 64-bit, and so you can only run a 64-bit OS on there.   

Unfortunately, the Surface also does not have the "Legacy Boot" option to emulate a BIOS like many other PCs have.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-10T14:12:09+00:00

I said this once but I'll say it again: you can install x86/32 bit software on a 64 bit version of Windows. Just download and install the 32 bit version of Office. Your key will work for both versions...

Also 64 bit Office works with tons of other applications just fine. The better option is to contact those software vendors to see if they have an update to provide Office 64 bit support. I suggest you do that if Office is the issue.

You will not solve this issue by installing 32 bit Windows. If you want a quick solution, install 32 bit Office.

Your statement regarding memory/RAM for the Surface Pro is a little absurd as well. 4GB is not "too short." You're going way off topic here. 4GB is perfectly capable of running Windows 64 bit. Heck, you can only use 3GB max with a 32 bit OS.

Microsoft does not consider this a problem because it is a fact that 32 bit OSes are on the way out. Anyone still using 32 bit is doing so because of a third party vendor requiring it for some ridiculous reason or that vendor's unwillingness to provide updates for 64 bit support.

For your initial question, it seems you are actually wanting to use x86/32 bit Office. This is the solution: install the 32 bit Office and your "other applications" will work fine.

Please mark as answered.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-09T15:46:48+00:00

    zhang61go

    You do realize that 64bit also runs 32bit so why do you want to change anyway?

    I know that 64 bit Windows can run 32 bit software. I think 64 bit software will use more disk places and core graphics card will use some of RAM, 32bit Windows seems more suitable for Surface Pro.

    If surface has 8GB RAM, I won't use 32bit Windows forever.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-09T16:38:28+00:00

    Hmmm makes no sense the SSD space saved will be minimal, the RAM saved is negligible if any due to the internal boundaries used by most 32vs64bit software.  The Pro will be slower and the driver issue mentioned above serious, I doubt there is a 32bit pen driver so say good-bye to the pen for one.

    If you have SSD space concerns try compressing the c: drive using file explorer.  Your mileage will vary but in Win 8 with a few extra programs installed I'd expect something in the 5-10GB category based on reports I've seen (haven't needed to bother to do mine yet).  While it takes a bit of time initially once all the current files are compressed new files you add won't be noticeably slowed down the Pro is plenty fast to handle this on the fly compression...well in 64bit mode anyway.

    If you really want to do this downgrade you may be able to get hints from threads like this:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro-surfdevice/how-to-boot-a-ubuntu-from-a-usb-flash-drive/9ff3156c-6268-40f7-a2c0-a7ae27076336

    also search for windows 7, dual boot and multi boot

    Have fun trying to make things work on your crippled system!  If nothing else you may learn something.  Also make a USB memory stick copy of the restore files, if the originals get ruined it'll give  you a chance to make your pro useful again.  Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-09T16:46:15+00:00

    I wanna replace this 64bit operating system. The driver can be found at wacom websites. I really dislike 64bit Windows. I think it is very useless and troublesome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments