How to install Windows 32-bit version in my surface pro?

Anonymous
2013-05-09T13:44:46+00:00

I have a surface. But it pre-installed windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I don't want to use 64-bit software, so I wanna install a new 32-bit Windows 8 on my surface Pro. But when I boot from my installing media, I find that surface can't get in to installing screen... I feel bad about it, who can tell me how to install Windows 8 32-bit in my surface?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-05T03:16:39+00:00

Sorry, but I think you're SOL.  My understanding of it is that UEFI has to have the same architecture as the OS you're trying to run.  The Surface Pro UEFI is 64-bit, and so you can only run a 64-bit OS on there.   

Unfortunately, the Surface also does not have the "Legacy Boot" option to emulate a BIOS like many other PCs have.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-10T14:12:09+00:00

I said this once but I'll say it again: you can install x86/32 bit software on a 64 bit version of Windows. Just download and install the 32 bit version of Office. Your key will work for both versions...

Also 64 bit Office works with tons of other applications just fine. The better option is to contact those software vendors to see if they have an update to provide Office 64 bit support. I suggest you do that if Office is the issue.

You will not solve this issue by installing 32 bit Windows. If you want a quick solution, install 32 bit Office.

Your statement regarding memory/RAM for the Surface Pro is a little absurd as well. 4GB is not "too short." You're going way off topic here. 4GB is perfectly capable of running Windows 64 bit. Heck, you can only use 3GB max with a 32 bit OS.

Microsoft does not consider this a problem because it is a fact that 32 bit OSes are on the way out. Anyone still using 32 bit is doing so because of a third party vendor requiring it for some ridiculous reason or that vendor's unwillingness to provide updates for 64 bit support.

For your initial question, it seems you are actually wanting to use x86/32 bit Office. This is the solution: install the 32 bit Office and your "other applications" will work fine.

Please mark as answered.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-29T07:36:42+00:00

    I have a genealogy program from 1987 and a WordPerfect Shell program that are a 16 bit programs. They work under a 32 bit OS but will not open in a 64 bit OS. These program are very important to me. I would like to be able to take my Surface Pro 2 Tablet to libraries and directly enter data in the genealogy program.

    Is there any way to accomplish this on my Surface tablet?

    R G Clarke

    If all else fails, Install a small virtual machine using the built in hyper v software, deploying an older operating system, then run your application inside it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-28T15:57:06+00:00

    Does your genealogy program support the GEDCOM format? (GEDCOM is the standard format for exchanging genealogy info between programs.) If it does, you might be able to install Family Tree Maker on you Surface, and import your genealogy information into that program.

    My mother uses FTM 2010, and it runs just fine on Windows 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-27T21:24:50+00:00

    I have a genealogy program from 1987 and a WordPerfect Shell program that are a 16 bit programs. They work under a 32 bit OS but will not open in a 64 bit OS. These program are very important to me. I would like to be able to take my Surface Pro 2 Tablet to libraries and directly enter data in the genealogy program.

    Is there any way to accomplish this on my Surface tablet?

    R G Clarke

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments