How to install Windows 32-bit version in my surface pro?

Anonymous
2013-05-09T13:44:46+00:00

I have a surface. But it pre-installed windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I don't want to use 64-bit software, so I wanna install a new 32-bit Windows 8 on my surface Pro. But when I boot from my installing media, I find that surface can't get in to installing screen... I feel bad about it, who can tell me how to install Windows 8 32-bit in my surface?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-05T03:16:39+00:00

Sorry, but I think you're SOL.  My understanding of it is that UEFI has to have the same architecture as the OS you're trying to run.  The Surface Pro UEFI is 64-bit, and so you can only run a 64-bit OS on there.   

Unfortunately, the Surface also does not have the "Legacy Boot" option to emulate a BIOS like many other PCs have.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-10T14:12:09+00:00

I said this once but I'll say it again: you can install x86/32 bit software on a 64 bit version of Windows. Just download and install the 32 bit version of Office. Your key will work for both versions...

Also 64 bit Office works with tons of other applications just fine. The better option is to contact those software vendors to see if they have an update to provide Office 64 bit support. I suggest you do that if Office is the issue.

You will not solve this issue by installing 32 bit Windows. If you want a quick solution, install 32 bit Office.

Your statement regarding memory/RAM for the Surface Pro is a little absurd as well. 4GB is not "too short." You're going way off topic here. 4GB is perfectly capable of running Windows 64 bit. Heck, you can only use 3GB max with a 32 bit OS.

Microsoft does not consider this a problem because it is a fact that 32 bit OSes are on the way out. Anyone still using 32 bit is doing so because of a third party vendor requiring it for some ridiculous reason or that vendor's unwillingness to provide updates for 64 bit support.

For your initial question, it seems you are actually wanting to use x86/32 bit Office. This is the solution: install the 32 bit Office and your "other applications" will work fine.

Please mark as answered.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-10T03:46:12+00:00

    Well, it was announced several years ago that DOS was no longer going to be supported and that was before Windows 7 came out.  Not many people actually keep up with computer news and never knew that.

    DOS got pulled starting with Windows 8.  Windows 7 has limited support for older DOS programs and there are quite a few that won't run.

    Now, with that being said, do you actually need Internet access with a computer that you use your old DOS programs on?  Ask yourself that and the updates that come across are 99.9% security updates for Internet access.  If you have an old machine right now with all of your old DOS programs, just pull the network cable from it and run it off-line.  That machine should run almost forever or until the hardware gives out.

    You can still get a Surface Pro model and start anew with newer programs.  You can gradually migrate from the old system to the new one at your own pace.  Granted, there is no export capability with your older programs, so you will need to create a starting point and go from there - especially with personal finance programs.  I do that myself.

    I had found a personal finance program that is a little like Microsoft Money that works on all platforms (Windows, OS/X, and Linux) called "Money Manager EX" or "MMEX" for short.  You can go here if you want to check it out: http://www.codelathe.com/mmex/mmex\_screenshots.php

    It is not a perfect program but is reliable and if you upgrade the program or use a different system, all use the exact same database.  I have all three platforms myself and just load up the exact same database file.

    That is an example.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-10T03:17:10+00:00

    I appreciate your reply, however the programs I am trying to run do not work well in a virtual machine environment. I did try, but the outcome was not good. As I mentioned in another reply, I will get a Win7 Pro 32 bit laptop, but it would have been nice to be able to purchase a Surface Pro so that one could take advantage of the newer technologies. Plus, when MS decides to no longer provide Win7 security updates, it will leave me in the same situation I am in now with WinXP. I guess one of the main issues is vulnerability while on the Internet, although I use every possible antivirus, malware, etc. option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-10T03:04:58+00:00

    Thank you for your suggestions! Yes, I will get a back-up Win7 Pro 32 bit laptop, but I surely would have liked to have the Surface Pro. While my MYM is a DOS program, neither of the other two I mentioned will run on Windows 64 bit OS. I have been a loyal Microsoft customer for many, many years and I find it appalling that the company would not give customers a way for legacy program to work with the Windows upgrades. I'm not asking for support, I have never contacted Microsoft on any support issue, but for heavens sake, please give us a way to run the older programs that will not work on a 64 bit OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments