How to install Windows 32-bit version in my surface pro?

Anonymous
2013-05-09T13:44:46+00:00

I have a surface. But it pre-installed windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I don't want to use 64-bit software, so I wanna install a new 32-bit Windows 8 on my surface Pro. But when I boot from my installing media, I find that surface can't get in to installing screen... I feel bad about it, who can tell me how to install Windows 8 32-bit in my surface?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-05T03:16:39+00:00

Sorry, but I think you're SOL.  My understanding of it is that UEFI has to have the same architecture as the OS you're trying to run.  The Surface Pro UEFI is 64-bit, and so you can only run a 64-bit OS on there.   

Unfortunately, the Surface also does not have the "Legacy Boot" option to emulate a BIOS like many other PCs have.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-10T14:12:09+00:00

I said this once but I'll say it again: you can install x86/32 bit software on a 64 bit version of Windows. Just download and install the 32 bit version of Office. Your key will work for both versions...

Also 64 bit Office works with tons of other applications just fine. The better option is to contact those software vendors to see if they have an update to provide Office 64 bit support. I suggest you do that if Office is the issue.

You will not solve this issue by installing 32 bit Windows. If you want a quick solution, install 32 bit Office.

Your statement regarding memory/RAM for the Surface Pro is a little absurd as well. 4GB is not "too short." You're going way off topic here. 4GB is perfectly capable of running Windows 64 bit. Heck, you can only use 3GB max with a 32 bit OS.

Microsoft does not consider this a problem because it is a fact that 32 bit OSes are on the way out. Anyone still using 32 bit is doing so because of a third party vendor requiring it for some ridiculous reason or that vendor's unwillingness to provide updates for 64 bit support.

For your initial question, it seems you are actually wanting to use x86/32 bit Office. This is the solution: install the 32 bit Office and your "other applications" will work fine.

Please mark as answered.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-26T22:34:43+00:00

    I guess we are the minority and thus our concerns are not in Microsofts business plan for the future of Windows.  I wanted to do the same thing because a paticular program I have will only run on the 32bit version of Windows O/S  It is an older 16bit program that will cost me over $5,000 to replace with a new version that will work on 64bit version of Windows. I don't want to pay $5,000 for some thing that won't significantly improve my productivity or provide me with new features I want. I really would like a tablet that could run my program but sounds like that is never going to be an option.  So I guess I will keep using my Asus Android tablet and my old Windows XP laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-10T13:56:43+00:00

    It's very nice of you to answer my question. In order to fit my some software. Office 64bit version is not very good and can't work with other applications very well, and my antivirus software don't provide 64bit edition, I think I should install 32bit Windows. And I didn't use any 64bit system in old days, I.think I can't solve some common problem once I change my 32bit system to 64bit.

    And in my opinion, only computer with 8GB RAM or more RAM can run 64bit system, 4GB is too short to run 64bit Windows.

    why Microsoft doesn't consider this problem? Surface is a good product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-10T13:07:21+00:00

    Hi zhang61go,

    As I stated, you need to disable secure boot in order to do this. What have you tried? What have you done? It is DEFINITELY not as simple as just plugging in a CD/DVD drive and installing. This will be a very complicated task. Before asking "Can anyone solve it?" try it yourself and tell us what you have done.

    Realistically, installing an x86/32 bit OS on the Surface Pro is dumb. You will have ZERO DRIVER SUPPORT. I repeat: ZERO DRIVER SUPPORT. And you will void your warranty! Ask yourself if this is really something you want to try. There is absolutely ZERO need for it. You can still easily install x86/32 bit software without issue and it will run fine on a 64 bit OS.

    Here's a short list of what won't work:

    • wireless
    • Audio
    • Touch/Type Cover
    • Firmware plugin for Advanced Startup
    • Recovery Drive

    What is the purpose of installing 32 bit? Please elaborate and be a bit more open about what you have done and why you want to do this.

    Furthermore, if you are expecting someone to spit out a guide to installing a 32 bit OS on the Surface Pro, give it up. No one here is going to do that. It is a horrible idea and will be too fraught with issues to even think of attempting.

    My suggestion is to not do it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments